Shalini's Reviews > Arjun: Without a Doubt

Arjun by Shinde Sweety

Before I even begin, the rating stars clearly indicate that this is a must read.

The book is written in such a manner, that it gets you to think deeper about your now favourite story Mahabharata (if it isn't already), and also makes you to see the book in a whole different way with how she extracts bits and pieces from the lesser known versions of the stories.

My favourite scenes are when Krishna imparts his wisdom to the duo, and when Draupadi and Arjun finally unite after 8 years. It really makes you feel their sorrows, joy, anger, frustration and that was exactly what I expect of every rendition of Mahabharata when I pick it up.

Dr Sweety Shinde doesn't fail in her promises to make this classic retelling of the epic saga of Draupadi and Arjun an amazing one and she does deliver well on her promise.

The story isn't over dramatised, the characters' strengths and weaknesses are what they are, even though there were plenty of such opportunities to exaggerate them. And that is the book's greatest virtue.

"Virtue is that which lasts inspite of power", indeed. And this retelling, is to last in my mind for a very long time.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arjun.

January 21, 2015 – Shelved