Cee (The Mistress Case)'s Reviews > Made You Up

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

How I know my Magic 8 Ball is reliable

*Before Reading*

Cee: Magic 8 Ball, will Made You Up try to kill me?

Magic 8 Ball: Concentrate and ask again.

Cee: You know? The kind where a book sucks the soul out of you, drop by drop, until you're on the floor rolling around in your own filth because you both love and hate yourself for picking up this book in the first place?

Magic 8 Ball: Reply hazy. Try again later.

Cee: Can you at least tell me if I'll like it or not?

Magic 8 Ball: Outlook not so good.

*After Reading* *will contain spoilers*

Cee: Do I think this book is cute?

Magic 8 Ball: My reply is no.

Cee: Do I think this book is angsty?

Magic 8 Ball: My sources say no.

Cee: Do you know why?

Magic 8 Ball: Don't count on it.

Cee: This is one of those times when a WRITER SHOULD WRITE WHAT THEY KNOW. If you plan to read Made You Up, do your research first so you aren't force-fed lies because anyone these days can slap mental illness onto the pages of a romance novel. Made You Up did not give me insight into schizophrenia. It made schizophrenia look like a pretentious illness with a stick up its ass. And believe me, saying this makes me feel like the asshole here. I don't claim to know jack squat about schizophrenia, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Alex didn't fit the bill. Let's give credit where credit is due— Francesca Zappia sure knows how to be crafty with mental illness because if I could create my own symptoms and get a kick out of making a book "fun," I probably would. Then I would cross my fingers and hope all of my readers swoon over my quirky and oh-so-intelligent characters. Yayy!

And as if the misrepresentation of mental illness, the boring characters, and the absentminded plot weren't enough to irked me, there was Charlie. I smelled that bullshit from hundreds of pages away and when shit hit the fan, I had to roll my eyes and skimmed the drama. She was a cheap tool to create angst. She really fucking was.

So there you have it. I had high expectations for Made You Up. I wanted it to challenge me on many levels from intellectual to emotional to morally, but the book fell flat and was too predictable and fake for me to give a rat's ass about it. It was like somebody trolled on my nonexistent feels.

In closing, my Magic 8 Ball is smarter than this book. Don't you agree?

Magic 8 Ball: Without a doubt.

- - - - - -

Here are some other reviews to elaborate:

Here

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made You Up.

January 21, 2015 – Shelved
January 21, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 14, 2015 –
page 80
18.69% ""
Started Reading
December 15, 2015 –
page 122
28.5% "I swear, if Charlie was only a part of her imagination, I'm going to toss my heart out the window.\n \n "
December 15, 2015 – Finished Reading
December 16, 2015 – Shelved as: the-hype-failed-me
December 16, 2015 – Shelved as: waving-at-you-in-my-rearview-mirror
April 29, 2016 – Shelved as: u-made-society-hang-itself

message 1: by Nidofito (new)

Nidofito lol so funny.

Cee (The Mistress Case) Nidofito wrote: "lol so funny.

I was surprised with your rating. It definitely seemed from your status that you were, initially, really enjoying the book."

Lol.
I surprised me too, but I should have known. From the beginning, I was amused in a terrible way xD

message 3: by Darina (new) - added it

Darina Entertaining review! I havent checked this out yet though.(will soon though) :D and thanks for preparing me for things I might not like in the book ^_^

Cee (The Mistress Case) Shanna T wrote: "Entertaining review! I havent checked this out yet though.(will soon though) :D and thanks for preparing me for things I might not like in the book ^_^"

Thanks :) And yep, you should still check it out because many of my friends liked it, but it just wasn't for me.

Clare Snow the magic 8 ball never lies!