Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Aug 19, 2010

bookshelves: sci-fi-and-fantasy
Read from August 19 to 22, 2010

I Am Number Four follows the story of John Smith aka Daniel Jones aka Four, a young Garde from the planet Lorien, and his Cepan(Keeper), Henri. Ten years ago, in the wake of his planet's imminent destruction by the Mogadorian race, a race of vicious, greedy, and bloodthirsty aliens, nine young Garde and their Keepers were sent to Earth to blend in, learn their Legacies (powers) and train. One day, the Garde will go back to Lorien, destroy the Mogadorians, and take Lorien back. There's a problem though. The Mogadorians are on Earth, too, and they're killing the Garde in order. Three are dead, and John is next. It's too bad he's finally found a town he likes in Paradise, Ohio, a best friend, Sam, and the girl of his dreams, Sarah. Will he have the strength to move on when he has to?

I Am Number Four is written under the pseudonym, Pittacus Lore which, frankly, I think sounds better than the collaboration between James Frey and Jobie Hughes. I think it's quite clever of them to have written under the name of Lorien's Elder, Pittacus Lore. Anyhoo, the story begins with a bit of a prologue, showing us the death of Three and leading us to the revelation the Four now has to leave his town in Florida and make do in a new town. Though the nine Lorien Garde were scattered and don't know where the others are, look like, or feel, they are charmed so when one Garde dies, a brand appears on their ankles. That's the only clue they have to knowing which will be targeted next by the Mogadorians.

I was a bit turned off by the prologue, to be honest. I thought it was a wee bit emotionless, frantic, and rushed. While I do like prologues, I think it's necessary for them to be written in a certain manner to lead you into the first chapter. And, if I might be petty for a wee moment, there's a typo on the first page of the first chapter. That's neither here, nor there. I Am Number Four is a refreshing take on the tale of aliens living among us. I really enjoyed the fact that John (Four) found a place on Earth that he wanted to belong, and I enjoyed that even though he was supposed to keep a low profile, he didn't let people walk all over him. I really liked Henri...he's like a big, not-so-emote, teddy-bear. It's his job to care for John, and you can tell he cares for him a great deal. I do, however, think that John's love interest, Sarah, fell a wee bit flat. I also thought Mark (the bully) was too much of a stereotype at first.

All in all, I really enjoyed I Am Number Four once I got into it. It's action-packed, riveting, and kept me guessing. I give it a definite 4.5 out of 5, and I really look forward to the second book of this six-book series, The Power of Six, due out in 2011. I recommend YA fans, especially those who enjoy Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and paranormal...oh, and it's a definite buy. You'll want this on your shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Number Four.

Quotes Melissa (i swim for oceans) Liked

Pittacus Lore
“I am an alien, I have extraordinary powers, with more to come, and I can do things that no human would dream of, but I still look like a fool.”
Pittacus Lore, I Am Number Four

Lea (YA Book Queen) How are you liking this one? I've heard so many mixed things...

Melissa (i swim for oceans) It took a little bit, but last night I was riveted! I couldn't put it down :)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hey Melissa,
is this a YA book? I think I need to add it to my tbr :P

Melissa (i swim for oceans) Amelia, it sure is! :)