✌ Ashley ☠'s Reviews > Menace From the Deep

Menace From the Deep by Michael P. Spradlin

bookshelves: action-adventure, netgalley, children, part-of-a-series, science-fiction

A solid 4 star book.
I really like Emmet and Calvin together. They complement each other well. Where Emmet is impulsive and acts without thinking, Calvin is methodical. Emmet needs Calvin's know how and Calvin needs Emmet to give him that extra push to take a chance.
Beyond a cool science fiction story, there's also a good mystery here. Who is Dr. Catalyst and did he survive at the end?
The science behind this story was great too. I've always been fascinated by prehistoric creatures and their ecology. This is a perfect combination of the two. I still want to know more about these creatures and how they were made.
I think the plot was well paced and moved along at all the right times. The creatures had a good introduction and it was a good example of showing vs telling. I like that even though we didn't find you've who Dr. Catalyst was, he still got his page time through the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Menace From the Deep.

January 21, 2015 – Started Reading
January 21, 2015 – Shelved
January 21, 2015 –
page 14
5.83% "So far Dr. Geaux is my favorite character. Like Emmet said, anyone who let's a dog lick their face can't be all bad."
January 21, 2015 –
page 50
20.83% "This is like a cross between Jurassic Park and Island of Dr. Moreau."
January 22, 2015 –
page 61
25.42% "Good thinking, Calvin, but probably I wouldn't have been brave enough to get in the water."
January 22, 2015 –
page 69
28.75% "So this mystery man didn't want Emmet or Calvin to actually get hurt but he's going to remember to take the spare fuel line next time?"
January 23, 2015 –
page 84
35.0% "Why haven't they called in someone more, I don't know, official, like a team or something when they. know they've found a new species that looks engineered?"
January 23, 2015 –
page 87
36.25% "Research archaeopteryx"
January 26, 2015 –
page 152
63.33% "I was really hoping it wasn't Dr. Newton. That's just too obvious."
January 27, 2015 – Shelved as: action-adventure