Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > The Bone Clocks

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

bookshelves: readathon-day-2015, favorites

If you'd told me two years ago, after reading the disappointment that was Cloud Atlas, that I'd be weeping, laughing, gasping and clutching at my armchair with the deep-nailed grip of a cliffhanging mountaineer in response to the same author's 2014 novel, I'd've believed you about as much as I believed it was possible to be taken to heights and depths of emotion over the course of The Bone Clocks. That is, not at all.

Speaking purely subjectively, only for myself, this book was brilliant. Holly was a wonderful, nuanced character. The other protagonists whose shoes we filled in 4 of the book's 6 sections were respectively amoral, lamentable, derisive and heroic. The prose was elegant, beautiful and marvellously distinct for each character. The plot was excellent. The crescendo of the supernatural element was well-handled, and came to a very satisfying denouement.

The allegories were fearful. The jabs at the real world were scathing. The messages of the book - relish the time with your loved ones, prevent global warming, don't ever turn down a young girl when she thrice-attempts to give you a literal book full of Foreshadowing - were resonant.

I wish I could be more analytical, and perhaps I will later. For now, let me just unequivocally state that I loved The Bone Clocks from start to finish, top to bottom, cover to cover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Clocks.

January 21, 2015 – Started Reading