Joshua Hedlund's Reviews > When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself

When Helping Hurts by Steve Corbett

M 50x66
Jan 20, 2015

The beginning of the book concisely explains the theology of why Christians should be helping the poor, tying it to general themes of God's redemption of the world and highlighting the ignoring of the poor as one of the oft overlooked but undeniably major reasons Israel went into exile. The rest of the book expounds upon how to help the poor. Right-leaning readers may like its insistence on overcoming incentives of dependency; left-leaning readers may like its insistence on overcoming superiority complexes of assuming we know best how to help less privileged peoples when we really don't; all readers should like its combination of common sense, good theology, and personal humility with practical insight into poverty alleviation. I especially liked the suggestion to empower the materially poor by asking "what are your gifts?" instead of "what do you need?" I also liked the bits about savings associations. Overall, this is an imperative read for any Christian involved or interested in helping the poor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Helping Hurts.

Started Reading