Kat's Reviews > Withering Tights

Aug 18, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, young-adult, read-in-2010
Read from August 16 to 19, 2010

When I learned that Louise Rennison was writing another YA series to follow up her successful Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, my curiosity was piqued. I had read all ten books of the Georgia series over the course of two months, and they were hilarious and entertaining. Naturally I had similar expectations for this new series about Georgia's younger cousin Tallulah Casey.

Tallulah is a 14-year-old who's off to spend a summer at Dother Hall studying performing arts. She's got knobby knees and legs that are way too long. And she's got non-existent 'corkers' (her term for breasts). Tallulah envisions an exciting summer filled with boys, boys and boys. But being that Dother Hall is girls-only, it seems that a boy-filled summer is impossible. Tallulah quickly befriends a quirky cast of characters who also attend her performing arts program. And together they have misadventures with the stage, and with (eek!) boys.

The book reads a lot like the Georgia Nicolson books, told in first person. It's not in diary form, though. Instead, the book is broken out into chapters like any other novel. While reading, it was sort of like reading another Georgia book, but...with different characters. The situations are pretty much the same — embarrassing moments with boys, saying dumb things in front of boys, being caught off guard with a surprise snog by a boy.

While I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did Louise Rennison's other series, it was still quite funny. Rennison has a talent for creating the funniest characters and the strangest lingo for teenagers. This was a short read that's good if you want a bit of a laugh.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Withering Tights.