Kathy's Reviews > The Miracle at Speedy Motors

The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith

Aug 18, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, mystery
Read in August, 2010

After a couple of years since reading #8, I finally got around to reading the 9th book in this series. These are really enjoyable books, kind of like checking up on old friends and seeing how they are doing. They are light and sweet. I found myself laughing a lot at little things and touched by some of the sweet scenes. One of my favorite things about these books is the little nuggets of wisdom in there. Here's one little excerpt that really got me thinking, as I've often wondered about the ability of people to really change.

Mma Ramotswe sighed. She had spoken to people about the importance of not leaving the business unattended, but nobody, it seemed, listened . . . It was no use thinking about it and getting hot under the collar because whatever she said she would never be able to change the way people were. Of course she believed in the possibility of change; she had seen many who had become better people from a single experience or from the example of another, but that change was in the big matters, change in the outlook of the heart. It was not change in the little things of life, such as leaving the business unattended--those were things which never changed.

I thought that was interesting and thought about it a lot. I go back and forth between thinking change is of course possible and wondering if people can ever really change, but I had never thought to break it down in this way before. The big changes of the heart or way of thinking can happen in a moment. Changing the little things, habits or personality characteristics, can be much, much harder.

I always enjoy my little trips back to Botswana and I particularly enjoyed this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Miracle at Speedy Motors.