Luke Burrage's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

it was ok
bookshelves: audio-book, recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp

I have quite a lot to say about this one. Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #263.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

January 19, 2015 – Started Reading
January 19, 2015 – Shelved
January 19, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-book
January 19, 2015 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
January 19, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
January 24, 2015 –
10.0% "Slow start. I was expecting it to be good."
January 25, 2015 –
25.0% "This is actually really boring."
January 26, 2015 –
30.0% "This is really dragging. I felt like I'd been listening for hours more, but I'm still only 30% of the way though. I'm probably not going to carry on with the remaining 8 hours. 8 hours is the length of many GOOD stories."
January 28, 2015 –
50.0% "I'm back to it, listening at 2.5x speed. I don't normally do this, but I just need to get through it more quickly.\n \n Meanwhile, it's REALLY shit."
January 29, 2015 –
75.0% "I got back to it, and while it's still terribly written and the pacing is just awful, some of the weird/bad/boring writing and story choices are explained in the second half. It doesn't make it better, but I now at least understand the shitness."
January 29, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Bob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bob The podcast RSS feed stops at #261. Are there two missing?

message 2: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome Hmm when I try to press "i" in the Apple Podcasts app, it freezes for a minute.

Luke Burrage Bob wrote: "The podcast RSS feed stops at #261. Are there two missing?"

Look To Windward and The Culutre Series Read-Through Wrap Up show might come first.

Or, who knows, I might just record this tonight.

message 4: by George (new)

George Apple’s podcasts app freezes all the time for me, it's practically unusable. I've switched to Instacast recently.

message 5: by Barry (new)

Barry Hi guys. I recommended this book to Luke and I can honestly say I loved it. Maybe I am just easily entertained, who knows? Is there anyone here who has read this book already. I know its newish but does anyone even know anyone who has read it. Cheers guys

Luke Burrage SFBRP #262 – Liu Cixin – The Three-Body Problem

Here you go: http://www.sfbrp.com/archives/981

message 7: by Levi (new)

Levi Try using a third party ap, apple's seems to be having issues lately.
I gave up on this book about 20% in, there was almost nothing that held my attention for more than a few minutes, but everyone has varying tastes just look at the Ready Player One discussions.
One thing I really enjoy about this podcast is when Luke takes something different from a book than I did, it's interesting to hear a different perspective. I've noticed this the most in his Heinlein reviews.

message 8: by Mike (last edited Mar 15, 2015 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Thicke When I like a book, I listen to your review of it with trepidation, but when I don't, I listen with glee. I did not like *Three Body Problem*.

Ryan Yan Thanks for the podcast. What I read (heard?) from it is that an idea-driven but not char-driven sci-fi should be read but not listened to. Honestly you've missed a lot during your listening, even with your notes.
The most erred-in part - and the funnest part to me - is that you mixed up the two meet-ups of that "league of evil" into one. I practically laughed loudly for several times during that part.
About the fore-story vs backstory, I agree with you but I don't think it necessarily a drawback, especially in a sci-fi.

message 10: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff post I think it's awesome