Brenda's Reviews > Iron House: A Novel

Iron House by John Hart

John Hart's fourth book maintains the complexity I expected based on reading the previous three. Two brothers, Michael and Julian, as different as night and day, live in the Iron House Home for Boys. After a horrendous event occurs, one runs away and the other is adopted. Fast forward 23 years. There are many threads and factions at play, and Hart eventually unravels and reveals the history and the truth.

Character development is one of Hart's strengths. Not all of his characters are likable, but even they are well drawn. They all have secrets, make questionable decisions, get angry, love hard, and have doubts. The one character I felt was weak was Elena, Michael's fiancé.

The setting in North Carolina is interesting. It ranges from a U. S. Senator's lush estate in Chatham County to a village without electricity in the mountains. Iron House was heartbreaking.

I'm really looking forward to John Hart's next and latest book, Redemption Road.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron House.

January 19, 2015 – Shelved
page 42
March 30, 2016 –
page 234
March 31, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Petra (new) - added it

Petra I've been enjoying all your John Hart reviews. I haven't read any of his books yet, but I have Redemption Road from NetGalley and I'm really looking forward to it after all your positive reviews.

Brenda Petra, I found John Hart through Goodreads friends, so I'm happy to pay it forward. I hope you enjoy his books as much as I did.

Mike Another solid review, Brenda. Looking forward to what you'll make of "Redemption Road".

message 4: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Exceptional review, Brenda! :)

Brenda Mike wrote: "Another solid review, Brenda. Looking forward to what you'll make of "Redemption Road"."

Thanks, Mike. I expect it will be another good book.

Brenda Amy wrote: "Exceptional review, Brenda! :)"

Thanks, Amy!

Perri Brenda would it be best to read his books in order they were written? I mean I know they are stand-alones, but does he grow as a writer?

Brenda Perri wrote: "Brenda would it be best to read his books in order they were written? I mean I know they are stand-alones, but does he grow as a writer?"

Perri, I read them in publication order, but I don't think that's really necessary. I think they are of equal quality. Enjoy!