Deane Barker's Reviews > How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World

How We Got to Now by Steven Johnson

I love Steven Johnson. "Where Good Ideas Come From" is one of my favorite books.

This book looked back at 5-6 "inventions" that remarkably changed the modern world. I quote "inventions" because these things are really, really basic. Things like cold (meaning, the ability to make things artificially cold), glass, recorded sound, etc. Johnson traces the invention of them, and the remarkable changes they caused.

For instance, Johannes Gutenberg developed the printing press. So now we had a bunch of things to read. This revealed -- for the first time -- that a lot of people were farsighted. This meant there was now a huge market for eyeglasses. This meant a lot more people went into the business of making lenses. This means that when the lensmaker market was saturated, they started doing other stuff with lenses, like inventing microscopes and telescopes.

Think about that: in a weird way, we owe almost ALL of biology and physics to the printing press. That may be a leap, but it demonstrates the domino effect that inventions have. One leads to another which leads to another, etc.

The book is full of these stories. Well worth the read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Got to Now.

Started Reading