kohey's Reviews > The Black Dahlia

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

bookshelves: james-ellroy

Well,it ALWAYS takes me some time to sort out and gather blown-away pieces of my sensitive heart Mr.Ellroy has masterfully done for me.
It makes me feel sardonic,but I LOVE this process and of course,this GREAT work.

One thing that I like about this novel is the massive impact it has on me.The story hooks me up at the start,grabs me by the collar and drags me around violently through the whole story,and finally dumps me into the gutter(let me confirm this;I’m not an open masochist!) On this priceless experience,I give easily five stars.

The other thing is that everyone here is morally corrupt,to the point that I feel sorry and attached for them.There exists NO shallow person here,whether he or she is good or bad.I sometimes wonder if there is a clear-cut line between good and bad in the real world.Mr.Ellroy CAN write hopelessly bad,foolish,yet lovable characters that share at least some parts with you.I’m sure that’s the beauty of this gem.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dahlia.

January 18, 2015 – Shelved
December 17, 2015 –
December 18, 2015 –
December 19, 2015 –
December 19, 2015 –
40.0% "the making of a certain woman into the monster. enjoying much better than the first time."
December 20, 2015 –
December 20, 2015 –
December 22, 2015 –
December 22, 2015 –
92.0% "A good recipe to last a few sleepless nights.Thank you,Mr.Ellroy!"
December 24, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 5, 2018 – Shelved as: james-ellroy

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Candi (new)

Candi Great review, Kohey!

kohey Thanks,Candi!
Your comment is always sweeet(^O^)

kohey Thanks,Hades:-))

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ Great review, Kohey!
It's clear the impact this book has on you.

message 5: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron Great review, Kohey. Well done!

message 6: by Janie (new)

Janie C. Excellent review, Kohey!

message 7: by Arah-Lynda (new) - added it

Arah-Lynda After reading this excellent review, I was so moved I simply had to add this to my TBR. Thank you.

message 8: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike I keep meaning to pick up this quartet. Now I have more incentive. Wonderful review, Kohey.

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review Kohey!

kohey Great review, Kohey!
It's clear the impact this book has on you.

Thanks,Alexandra! I’ll be waiting for you(^^)

kohey Great review, Kohey. Well done!

kohey Excellent review, Kohey!

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ KOHEY.Y. wrote: "Thanks,Alexandra! I’ll be waiting for you(^^)"

I'm sorry, Kohey. This book was not for me.
I liked your review a lot better than the book.

kohey Great review, Kohey! I agree no one is either wholly good, nor wholly bad. I guess very few of us could be held under a microscope and not be found wanting in some way but then again perhaps there are those who want to try to be better and that in itself is sometimes enough?

Yees! I can’t agree with you more,Sabah.
I think characters depicted here are a little bit stereotyped,but act by their own rules and with strong convictions.They try to be good or bad to save their own ass,but why should I feel empathy for them?I guess the beast lurking in me was being unleashed while reading.

kohey After reading this excellent review, I was so moved I simply had to add this to my TBR. Thank you.

Thanks,Arah-Lynda!
I hope you'll enjoy this pure,undiluted drama!

kohey I keep meaning to pick up this quartet. Now I have more incentive. Wonderful review, Kohey.

Thanks,Mike! I hope you’ll like it(^^)

kohey Great review Kohey!

Thanks always,Jen!

kohey KOHEY.Y. wrote: "Thanks,Alexandra! I’ll be waiting for you(^^)"

I'm sorry, Kohey. This book was not for me.
I liked your review a lot better than the book.

Oh,I see.I really appreciate your considerate comment(^^),Alexandra.Thanks always:)

William Thank you for the review. Wow. Brutal and brilliant, raw and alive, elegiac and painful. A masterpiece of crime and personal desire and intense action, often obscene.

kohey Thanks, William !