Heather Balog's Reviews > 30 First Dates

30 First Dates by Stacey Wiedower

19464362
Jan 18, 2015

Once again, I wish Goodreads had a half star rating. This is 4.5 stars but I wanted the author to get the benefit of a 5 star rating because this is probably the best chick lit novel I've read to date. I started this book and saw it was about a "bucket list", a 30 by 30 list of things to accomplish. I just read a very similar book (Twenty Five by Rachel Hamm), so I was disappointed it would be about the same thing. Only it wasn't. It was so poignant and funny and true to life. Sure, there were unrealistic things that happened and sure, I figured out the ending, but the journey was much better than I expected. In the first book I read the list was mostly about the character feeling inadequate for her age. Maybe I couldn't relate because at 25 I was married with a career, a house and a baby on the way. I think I related more to the idea that thirty really is a turning point in your life. It's the point where you say, "well now what?" Even though I wasn't looking for love at 30, most of what Erin went through in this book resonated with me. To me it was about finding what made you happy and being true to that. I really admire Erin for realizing even though she had a great job, it wasn't what she was meant to do. Taking that huge step to change careers, even at a young age of 30, is a huge risk.
I liked this book so much that I decided to make my own bucket list. I'm way too close to my 40th birthday, so I decided 50 things by 50. Some are risky, some are just about getting out of my comfort zone. But I know even if I don't accomplish all of them, I'll be proud of myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 30 First Dates.

January 18, 2015 – Shelved