Lola 's Reviews > Jackaby

Jackaby by William Ritter

it was ok
bookshelves: no-romance, paranormal, mystery, boring, well-written

What a let down this book was.

description

I was so bored. And it had to do with the story, not the writing or Jackaby himself. He was great. Strange and not always understandable, but different and fascinating. Not the sort of character we encounter in every read.

His eyes looked like they could be a hundred lifetimes old, but he bore an otherwise young countenance and had a fervent energy about him.

That’s my Sherlock Jackaby! I wonder if I was the only one calling him Jackabbey or Jackbaby here and there. Especially when reading fast. My mind just processed those names instead of his real one and that…pretty often.

So, really, he wasn’t the problem. It’s the dull mystery case that literally put me to sleep. I was alternating my read of this book with Scarlet because I really didn’t want to leave Jackaby half unread due to boredom. Who knows, maybe the sequel’s mystery will blow me away and, by DNFing, I would lose my chance to be impressed. Plus, I loved that detective!

‘‘I think you must be a bit confused,’’ he said. ‘‘But don’t feel bad—it’s a common state. Most people are.’’

I’ve included in this review some Jackaby quotes because he was wonderfully showing a great sense of humour (often without meaning to) and was a character worth knowing about. And I understand the author’s choice of not making him a main one – I absolutely do – but, sincerely, our Abigail was just so…dull and insipid. She did ‘‘participate’’ in the story and have her place in it and a certain mild role during scenes, but I barely noticed her and often forgot that she was even there. Usually, characters such as Abigail can be interesting because some can allow you to simply push them aside and (mentally) take their own place in the book, like it happened to me with Ana from Fifty Shades of Grey and Kelsey from Tiger's Curse. But not Abigail. I couldn’t do that with her, but that may be because it didn’t interest me at all to help solve that boring case. It might all have been more intriguing – and I can’t believe I’m saying this – if there were no paranormal elements. There, I said it. I think they confused me more than anything else, since the world-building was barely explained. I usually can’t get enough of ‘‘paranormal’’ as theme, but, in this context, the story was better without it, in my opinion.

‘‘Monsters are easy, Miss Rook. They’re monsters. But a monster in a suit? That’s basically just a wicked man, and a wicked man is a more dangerous thing by far.’’

Another problem I had with this book is that we didn’t know much about any of the characters. I mean, I adored Jackaby’s personality and the way he interacted with others and spoke, but I did wish to also know some personal information about him. In the next book, perhaps?

So, for that – for Jackaby – I’ll keep on reading this series, disappointment or not.

PS. There was no romance! Another thing that the sequel might include...Let's hope.

Gif source!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jackaby.

January 17, 2015 – Started Reading
January 18, 2015 – Shelved
January 18, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Hahahhah you had a valid point with Jackbaby, it happened to me like twice while only reading your review :D hopefully the sequel is more interesting :)

Mademoizelleflo (flowlessbooks) After reading your review, I'm so glad that I got this for like 3$ on my kindle instead of buying a physical copy of it.

Lola Nadia wrote: "Hahahhah you had a valid point with Jackbaby, it happened to me like twice while only reading your review :D hopefully the sequel is more interesting :)"

LOL! Glad I wasn't the only one :D hahah I hope so! Jackaby really is great!

Lola Mademoizelleflo wrote: "After reading your review, I'm so glad that I got this for like 3$ on my kindle instead of buying a physical copy of it."

Heee, that's indeed good! Can't wait for you to meet Jackaby. And I hope you'll enjoy the mystery more.

Joyce awww that's too bad. I'm still looking forward to reading it though... easy case? oh well.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Lol over the gif. Great review, Lola. ^^

Neil (or bleed) I'm looking forward to this one then... anyway, I hope you're next read will be great. :)

Lauren I feel like this book was over hyped. I gave it a good rating because it was interesting to me for the most part. Some parts were a little weird. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel

Lola Kathleen wrote: "awww that's too bad. I'm still looking forward to reading it though... easy case? oh well."

Not for them though ahah, but it just wasn't interesting lol...Thank you, Kathleen <3

Lola Natalie wrote: "well shoot. that sucks. better luck with your next read.. Great Review though xo"

Myaah, so much hype I thought it would be better than this. Thank you, Natalie though <3

Lola Aj aka Ravenous Reader wrote: "Lol over the gif. Great review, Lola. ^^"

Hhahaha, right?? I love it ^^ Thank you!

Lola [Da] Neil Wing wrote: "I'm looking forward to this one then... anyway, I hope you're next read will be great. :)"

You are? haha, I love it when my negative reviews make people want to read books. ;D Thank you!!

Lola Lauren wrote: "I feel like this book was over hyped. I gave it a good rating because it was interesting to me for the most part. Some parts were a little weird. I'm not sure if I'll read the sequel"

Right? Sometimes I got confused and lost myself into this unexplained creature filled world. Overhyped indeed. Well, at least we both didn't hate it :) I do know that I don't want to let go of Jackaby yet, so sequel it shall be!

message 14: by Gieliza (new)

Gieliza Awww too bad you didn't enjoy this more, Lola. I hope your next read will be a better one.

PS: That gif is perfect. =D

message 15: by destini mia (new)

destini mia :( sorry it was disappointing, Lola! Hopefully the next one is a little more captivating. Fantastic review :D

message 16: by Kaora (new) - added it

Kaora I hate it when they have no backstory. I'm still deciding whether I want to try this or not, but if you are continuing with the series it can't be that bad!

Lola Gieliza wrote: "Awww too bad you didn't enjoy this more, Lola. I hope your next read will be a better one.

PS: That gif is perfect. =D"

Thanks a lot, Gie!! hahah, I love it too :D

Lola Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie wrote: ":( sorry it was disappointing, Lola! Hopefully the next one is a little more captivating. Fantastic review :D"

Mia! Thank you! I hope book 2 will be much much better!!

Lola Kaora wrote: "I hate it when they have no backstory. I'm still deciding whether I want to try this or not, but if you are continuing with the series it can't be that bad!"

Yeah I mean it was boring (the mystery mostly) and the MC too but Jackaby was irresistible heh! So yeah not that bad :) Maybe you can give it a try, why not, right?

Lola Thanks a lot, Nika!! xoxo

message 21: by Didi (new)

Didi Sorry this was a bust, Lola :) better luck next time.

Lola Thanks a lot, Didi <3

CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD Lol… Fab review Lola… :)

Lola Thanks, Cas! :D

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Yours is not the first review I've read that expresses a lot of disappointment with this one. But that cover is so awesome, it seems a waste.

message 26: by Arzu (new)

Arzu sorry that this was no winner! let's hope the next one will be better!

Lola Jess: It is! But I don't get why the girl - Abigail I assume - is running on the cover. She's not the running from things type. It's because of the cover (and title) that I was convinced Jackaby would be the MC...but no.

Arzu: Thank you, Arzu <3 Yesss I just finished The Giver! It was good!

message 28: by Pam (new)

Pam Great honest review, Lola :)

Lola Thank you!! xo

message 30: by Nina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nina Sgro I loved this book.

Lola Nice! :)

Vanessa J. You're not the only one disappointed. I can't but agree with everything in this review. Oh, and the thing about "Jackabbey" and "Jackbaby"... loved it XD

message 33: by Teana (new) - added it

Teana I was calling him jackbaby too..I'm not even half through the book and I'm bored...