Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️'s Reviews > The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller by L.B. Simmons

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish

DNF at 67%

If there is anything, ANYTHING that drives me the most batshit crazy, it's manufactured drama. I can deal with angst, in fact, I crave it in most books, but when the level of angst, suffering, drama, is just so heavy in the plot of a story that it becomes UNBELIEVABLE, I give up. And that's the case here.

photo 81B2C84C-6105-4096-B580-C15588B1FFF8_zpsmnmloyyy.gif

The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller started out strong for me. A very lonely, scarred college freshman that's endured so much loss, she's actually blamed herself for it. Everyone close to her dies...her little sister, her mother, her father (all on separate instances, I might add...did I mention unbelievable). After the loss of her family, she's taken in by Linda, her mom's best friend. She builds walls like no other to protect those around her from getting close to her....it's in their best interest, after all, since everyone close to her dies an untimely death. She pierces her face, dyes her hair, wears cat-eye contacts, ANYTHING to repel friendship or relationships.

photo 804BF180-84AD-4AEA-A384-AC5813546A3F_zpsfdepplti.jpg

Until she meets her 'thunderstorm of pink' college roommate, Quinn, these repel tactics worked. But Quinn seems to be immune to her darkness, is anything but repelled. Bree (aka Raven) can't help but let her walls gradually crumble. Enter Kealeb, her best friend from early childhood who just happens to be her roommate's "orientation buddy" (again...not so believable). Between Kaeleb and Quinn, her walls gradually fall and the real Bree creeps out.

So this part was good! I loved the balance of humor with drama in the beginning. Linda has a swear jar and it was hilarious. Said jar gets to go along to college with her...her friends taking part in the challenge to stop swearing...or not.

photo 49AF0D26-3A1D-4056-8268-540BBB568507_zpszfpppiga.jpg

The reader is so happy to see her have this chance at life after so much sorrow and loss. But, NO, there has to be DRAMA. There has to be more HEARTBREAK. So far fetched, it's unbelievable. So, instead of making me sad, it makes me ANGRY.

photo 6C9A4287-85B7-48E8-BFF7-E17E8452310F_zpsmmq1zyhg.gif

Quinn can't simply be this sweet vivacious friend to help her. No, she has to be suffering from (view spoiler). Linda also can't simply be the great foster mom to live her life with happily in place of her parents. Oh, no. Quinn has to (view spoiler) and Linda has to (view spoiler) all in one night! Are you freaking kidding me?

photo 581C3552-482B-4AD6-88CE-999AB3F99534_zps6bqqx8cs.gif

Does this end in a HEA? I sure as hell hope so, for the sake of the readers that hang on past the point I threw in the towel. I can only take so much pain and, let's just face it, this is just too much for one pathetic girl to endure. I found myself saying, "Really? Seriously? Come on, people!"

photo tumblr_lg2z0yDXfb1qaa9rq_zps6380a10e.gif

On a lighter note, Kaeleb is the star of the show. Loved him. What a great guy. Mature way beyond his years. Hope he doesn't get off'ed too.

Moving on!

photo tumblr_mjxg25G3Qf1s4xdz1o1_500_zps674b4677.gif

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller.

January 18, 2015 – Started Reading
January 18, 2015 – Shelved
January 18, 2015 –
0.0% "Hoping this breaks me of my book slump..depression here I come.  photo B2A43BFE-81B8-41A3-BE1D-FDE5C738683A_zpsuc4shx8e.gif"
January 18, 2015 –
8.0% "Oh gawd. 8% in and I'm already leaking.  photo notcrying_zps7e77d5f5.gif"
January 19, 2015 –
44.0% "If someone dies in this book I'm gonna cut a b$tch!  photo 4F898913-96F8-48BB-83DA-40316ECA4C79_zpsrzlyekb8.gif"
January 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ LOL "Manufactured drama." That is such perfect terminology. I am going to jack that bitch and pedal it like the whore I am.

I hate it when authors pile on every single trauma imaginable. I get emulating real life and all that, but come on.

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Miss Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ wrote: "LOL "Manufactured drama." That is such perfect terminology. I am going to jack that bitch and pedal it like the whore I am.

I hate it when authors pile on every single trauma imaginable. I get..."

The hours I spent on this damn book. Nope. Fuck it. Moving the hell on. Life is too short for this old hag.❤️

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Aww! Sorry it didn't work for you Allison, but I can see where you're coming from. Fingers crossed your next one is a winner! :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ wrote: "Miss Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ wrote: "LOL "Manufactured drama." That is such perfect terminology. I am going to jack that bitch and pedal it like the whore I am.

I hate i..."

Well to steal a much cliched phrase from the tragedy that was Locke...YOLO!!

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Aww! Sorry it didn't work for you Allison, but I can see where you're coming from. Fingers crossed your next one is a winner! :)"

Thanks Fei. I'm in such a slump, I swear there's no end for me. I'm trying a darker/erotic read Lana thinks I'll love. If that doesn't work, I'll have to bring out the big guns and get a KA book.

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Miss Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ wrote: "Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ wrote: "Miss Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ wrote: "LOL "Manufactured drama." That is such perfect terminology. I am going to jack that bitc..."

***Virtual fist bump***

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great honest review, Allison!Sorry it was a bust!Hope your current read is better!xx

message 8: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Montoya sorry this wasn't for you love, good luck on your next read...

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Arianna wrote: "Great honest review, Allison!Sorry it was a bust!Hope your current read is better!xx"

Thank you, Arianna! Me too! ❤️

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Dee wrote: "sorry this wasn't for you love, good luck on your next read..."

Thanks so much, Dee. Me too.

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Great honest review, Allison! Hope your next read is better.

Sasha elle a.k.a. Mrs. Liam Callahan! Fantastic review :) sorry it missed the mark .

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Kelly wrote: "Great honest review, Allison! Hope your next read is better."

Thanks Kelly! ❤️

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Sasha elle a.k.a. Mrs. Liam Callahan! wrote: "Fantastic review :) sorry it missed the mark ."

Thanks Sasha. It was depressing as hell. ❤️

Brandi Oh no! Sorry this one didn't work for you, honey! I hope your next read goes better <33

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Brandi wrote: "Oh no! Sorry this one didn't work for you, honey! I hope your next read goes better <33"

Thanks Brandi❤️ I'm heading in an entirely different direction of genre.

Jennifer Kyle Darn so sorry Allison xx

message 18: by Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ (last edited Jan 20, 2015 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Jennifer wrote: "Darn so sorry Allison xx"

Yah...I'm in a killer book funk. Hoping my current book will fix it. Ugh. Nothing is holding my interest. This worked until THOSE events.

message 19: by S.M. (new) - added it

S.M. Yair-Levy Lol this review had me laughing out loud. I'm down for a sh!t storm of dire situations in a book but they haaaave to be somewhat believable. Hmm... I'm not so sure I'll read this one.

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ S.M. wrote: "Lol this review had me laughing out loud. I'm down for a sh!t storm of dire situations in a book but they haaaave to be somewhat believable. Hmm... I'm not so sure I'll read this one."

Yah, me too. I live angst but jeez something's gotta give for this poor girl.

message 21: by Anna (new)

Anna oh i hate manifactured drama when it just piles on and on to the point of being OTT great review

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Anna wrote: "oh i hate manifactured drama when it just piles on and on to the point of being OTT great review"

Thanks Anna. ❤️

Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ Sorry it didn't work out for you! Great honest review babe♥

Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) LMAO Review Allison :P

message 25: by Baba (new)

Baba  Yep, manufactured drama isn't my cuppa either. :(
Great review, Allison! Better luck next time. :)

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) wrote: "LMAO Review Allison :P"

Sandyღ wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out for you! Great honest review babe♥"

Thanks so much Vrsha and Sandy! ❤️

message 27: by Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ (last edited Jan 21, 2015 04:16AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Yep, manufactured drama isn't my cuppa either. :(
Great review, Allison! Better luck next time. :)"

OMG I'd love to see your thoughts on this one then. I think it's probably a bit too NA for you (more like YA) also but the drama...pain and death constantly.

message 28: by Baba (new)

Baba  LOL Nope. Thanks! :)

Jasmine Sorry this was a bust babe! *huggles* But I'm so glad you tried tho ;) At least now your current read can only get better from here, so YAY! ♥

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Sorry SSS!"

It's okay. Debt is gotten me out of my slump. Thank gawd. It was a big book slump.

message 32: by Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ (last edited Jan 21, 2015 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Jasmine wrote: "Sorry this was a bust babe! *huggles* But I'm so glad you tried tho ;) At least now your current read can only get better from here, so YAY! ♥"

Well there you are missy! Hope you're home from work relaxing. My phone is downstairs so if you've texted that's why I'm not answering. Get on the stick with Debt. You will ❤️ it. I promise. Unless the second half is bad... Cuz that's where I am currently. About 50% in. I'm savoring it.

~ Stéphanie ~ Tied up in Romance ~ Hum nope not for me, too much drama :/ Great review Allison and keep enjoying Debt ^^

message 34: by Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ (last edited Jan 21, 2015 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ ~ Stéphanie ~ wrote: "Hum nope not for me, too much drama :/ Great review Allison and keep enjoying Debt ^^"

Thanks Stephanie. I'm savoring Debt. Seriously. I didn't know the author has never written anything like this. Bummer because I was ready to go buy her entire collection.

Eda** # Dax Lahn's Golden Tigress  # BURRRRN! Great honest review babe! :)

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Eda** # Søren's Little One # wrote: "BURRRRN! Great honest review babe! :)"

Bahaha. If it was paperback I may have done exactly that...burn it. Ha. Thanks though. Thank god Debt is curing my funk.

message 37: by Vi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vi I should have read your review before starting this one. This is some eiffel tower level of melodrama.

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Vi wrote: "I should have read your review before starting this one. This is some eiffel tower level of melodrama."

Ha ha. Yah. It was not good.

message 39: by Gold (new) - added it

Gold you've saved me hours from my life, that kind of drama you describe would have had me rolling my eyes so hard. thank you!