Alasse's Reviews > The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement

The Narcissism Epidemic by Jean M. Twenge

Aug 17, 2010

bookshelves: mooched, nonfiction, diagonal-reading

This is a very important book, and it makes a few really valid points. Ms. Twenge and Mr. Campbell make a great job of connecting the dots on many cultural trends that would otherwise seem unrelated. This is particularly interesting for a non-American reader, since when I see that sort of stuff on TV I never know if what I'm noticing is real, hyperbolic or just irony. So it was really helpful having someone lay out the big picture for me.

Still, I think this book would be much more compelling if it weren't so repetitive. Now I realize that, when you have a thesis to prove, the border between argumentation and reiteration is a difficult one to walk. I get it - I'm a paranoid nonfiction reader, and I'm hyperaware of that sort of stuff. It's what happens when you're preaching to the choir. But trust me - this one really drags at points.

Anyway, if you're willing to resort to diagonal reading after the first half of every chapter, you should totally give this a go. As for me, I've made two chilling realizations:

- I like reading about American bad lifestyles and social tendencies, because deep down I know we are next. That way I'll be able to say I saw it coming.
- I've wondered for years, how can these people afford the single-family houses they all live in?* The answer is, they can't.

*I mean, look at the Simpsons. Come on, really??

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Narcissism Epidemic.

August 17, 2010 – Shelved
March 28, 2011 – Shelved as: mooched
May 3, 2011 – Started Reading
May 3, 2011 –
page 1
0.28% "I borrowed this from a friend almost 1 year ago. She'll be back in the country next week. I know, I suck."
May 5, 2011 –
page 106
30.11% "This would be terrifying if it weren't so freaking repetitive."
May 6, 2011 – Shelved as: nonfiction