Marie's Reviews > Beastly

Aug 17, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: retelling, young-adult, stand-alone
Read in November, 2011

I finally got around to reading Beastly. In honor of NaNoWriMo (and the fact I'm writing a re-telling) I decided to make November re-telling month. With that, Beastly was up first. Because I put it off for so long. This was another one of those won't-watch-the-movie-til-I-read-it things but to be honest, the movie didn't look all that interesting. I just thought they casted weird people. I'm not a Vanessa H or Olsen hater but I don't know, the Olsen part sort of bothered me.

Anyway!

Kyle was a jerk. I mean he was a jerk. Like I wanted to reach through the flippin pages and strangle him. It's so sad that his mindset was passed down from his father, who was an even bigger ass. I thought this would be your typical boy is a jerk and pisses off a witch and blah blah blah, which it was, but you couldn't help but feel bad for Kyle. His dad completely judges and ignores him and you could tell all he wanted was just a little bit of attention. And maybe if he had gotten that, he wouldn't had been such a jerk.

I loved Linda. She was sweet and caring and optimistic. Her father was also a flippin ass though, probably the biggest ass of a parent I've seen in a re-telling so far. How do you treat the only daughter you have like that? She cares for you, puts up with you and you just treat her like trash? And poor Linda, she shouldn't have to feel guilty for anything when it comes to her father, ever!

I also loved Kyle's teacher Will. He was a pretty great character to be around. He cared about Kyle even though he hardly knew him and didn't judge him. He always gave him the advice he needed and was just what Kyle needed in his life. The maid as well, she was also a really great character.

Beastly had a lot of similarities to Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I haven't read the original tale so I can't really compare. It did have it's distinct differences like Kyle grew obsessed with growing flowers and I thought that was a pretty symbolic thing. Before his transformation he never cared for things and especially not silly things (his words, not mine) like flowers. And I think the fact that he cared SO MUCH for his garden was what really made me feel for him, it was really the only thing he had.

While I wasn't completely impressed with Beastly, I did enjoy the journey. But I still won't see the movie lol!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beastly.

11/04/2011 page 300
100.0% "Awww (: still wouldn't see the movie though lol"