Jenny's Reviews > Petals from the Sky

Petals from the Sky by Mingmei Yip

Aug 16, 2010

did not like it
Read from August 16 to 21, 2010

This book was so disappointing! I was really enraptured the first few chapters. Meng Ning wanted to be a Buddhist nun and I was really hoping I'd learn some interesting things about Buddhism through this book.

Unfortunately, she meets a man right away in the book. He's super weird and clingy with her almost right off the bat so I kept wondering what his issues were.

The author then delves into a love scene which was so awkward I could barely read it. Meng Ning is so naive that it felt like she was being taken advantage of by an older man so it really creeped me out.

And then, the whole New York scenario? I'm sorry, but how realistic is it that a father and then his daughter seduce the same person and both seem to know about it and are ok with that? And then, Meng Ning doesn't ever even tell Michael what his friends did to her?

I understand her wanting to get away and think things through, but Michael's clinginess was so freakin' annoying.

Definitely not a book I'd recommend to anyone nor will I attempt to read anything by this author again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petals from the Sky.

Jenny Having a really hard time getting the motivation to pick this up and continue reading it. Story line just seems too unrealistic for me. Characters are starting to annoy me quite a bit.