Bill's's Reviews > The Last Oracle

The Last Oracle by James Rollins

39202720

it was ok
bookshelves: historical_novels-suspense

First, please note that this is the first James Rollins book I’ve read. Therefore, I had no knowledge of his style of writing. With that said, I would view "The Last Oracle" as a reasonably good adventure story. However, because the plot rapidly switches between five different venues, I would suggest you read it at only a few sittings. If you’re like me and let a number of days slip by before you again pick up a book, it’s easy to forget characters and where you are in the story.
My major criticism of the book has to do with the way Rollins handles the action of the book. First, there is simply too much of it. Steven James, author of “The Bowers Files,” says, “… remember that there is nothing more boring as relentless action.” ("Writer’s Digest," January 2015, p.31.) And that’s exactly what occurs in "The Last Oracle": too much action that leads to tedium … the novel is close to a pointless, nonstop action movie. Second, all the action is based on the same formula: (1) characters get into a jam, (2) the dilemma seems totally insurmountable, and (3) a miraculous way out of the predicament is discovered. (That’s okay once in a while, but not all the time.) Third, the action allows almost no room for the discovery of interesting tidbits of content. Unlike Dan Brown, who has his characters constantly discovering intriguing pieces of information, Rollins doesn’t even come close to exploiting the many possible dimensions of the main plot (i.e., the nature and significance of a line of Delphic oracles which has continued to the present day). Oh, yes, we do get to meet a few enigmatic children and go to India to investigate a cave, but that’s about it.
On the plus side, it was interesting to read, from a novel’s perspective, about things related to the very real New Safe Confinement Shelter (what the book calls the Arc of Life) at Chernobyl in northern Ukraine.
So, enjoy the book for what it is, but don’t expect to find much fascinating information—factual or fictional—that has to do with the culture, anthropology, and archaeology of an ancient people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Oracle.

January 17, 2015 – Started Reading
January 17, 2015 – Shelved
January 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 6, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 1, 2016 – Shelved as: historical_novels-suspense

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Helen Thompson If you will start with the first book, you will become attached to the characters and enjoy the books so much more. I always look forward to about three hours of fun with Rollins.