Deb Mj's Reviews > Dogtown: Death and Enchantment in a New England Ghost Town

Dogtown by Elyssa East

Aug 16, 2010

it was ok

This was interesting enough, but didn't live up to my expectations. I would think that someone at all familiar with the area would find it a fascinating read, but I had to fight my way through it.

The murder is horrible, yet no more horrible than any committed any day in any location; the accused is a somewhat frightening individual, yet not inherently evil, and of whom we never get a clear picture; and Dogtown itself is no more mystical or supernatural than any random community's remote, forested area that has been the subject of myths and legends passed down by the locals over many years.

At a point late in the book, the author writes "...made me realize that I was doing nothing but spending my time being swept away by curious folkore and running around some peculiar woods turned all the more bizarre by a combination of man's manipulation and neglect." The author spent ten years researching the murder and the history of this location, and it's almost as though she felt that she needed to produce something as a result of her time spent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dogtown.