Celeste's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, monstrously-large, best-books-i-ve-ever-read

I’ve been struck speechless. I’ve loved Sanderson’s books in the past, but this one completely blew me away. I really wish I could give The Way of Kings a sixth star. It has supplanted The Name of the Wind as my favorite fantasy novel of all-time. Rothfuss is still high-prince of my heart, but Sanderson reigns as king. Kvothe is an amazing, beautifully written character, but he doesn’t hold a Stormlighted-sphere to Kaladin. (Also, how can I not esteem the sheer amount of writing we get from Sanderson? Rothfuss is a craftsman, without a doubt. His writing is some of the most beautiful I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. But Sanderson’s work ethic earns him my respect and my gratitude.)

I tried to read this as slowly as possible, savoring every character’s perspective, every plot twist, every revelation. But alas, it was still over far too soon. I know that I have the second volume lying in wait on my shelf, but I think I’ll wait a month or two before I consume it, so as to give this delectable novel time to fully digest before diving back into the world of Roshar. I’ve read a plethora of fantasy novels, but I don’t think I’ve ever come across a world more unique or skillfully woven than Roshar. Sanderson should be applauded for that creation alone.

But that’s not all he gave us in the first volume of what I truly believe will be the greatest epic fantasy series of our generation, if not of all time. Sanderson gave us a cast of incredibly varied characters with believable inner turmoil and motivations. He gave us (yet another) unique, multifaceted magic system, backed by a similarly unique and multifaceted religion. He gave us a new view on the roles of women in fantasy, making literacy and scholarship and invention feminine arts. He even gave us completely original flora and fauna. And included sketches from the hand of one of the central characters! Is there anything this man can’t do?

I don’t want to get too into the character development present in this book, but I will say that, despite the strength of Sanderson’s world building, the characters are what made the story really come alive. He gave us Szeth, the tortured assassin; Shallan, the artist-turned-scholar with ulterior motives; Jasnah, Shallan's incredibly gifted but heretical sponsor; Dalinar, a lighteyed high-prince and follower of the Codes, which sets him at odds with his peers; Adolin, Dalinar’s eldest son who questions his father’s decisions but adheres reluctantly; Navani, the widow of the fallen king; Wit, whose shroud of mystery and intellect make him a misfit; and, finally, Kaladin, a soldier with the hands and demeanor of a surgeon, with shoulders bowed beneath the weight of the world.

There were incredible battles in this book. Incredible plot twists. Incredible characters as mentioned above. Simply incredible storytelling. I know this review has pretty much been blathering praise and little else. But I don’t know how to say anything more about The Way of Kings without giving something special away, and I want anyone who chooses to read it to be able to mine all of those treasures for themselves. But I will say, if you’re a fan of the fantasy genre, don’t let the size of this tome intimidate you. Every page was a jewel well worth reading. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not reading this wonderful book. I can’t wait to see where the story goes next. Thank you, Mr. Sanderson, for crafting such a beautiful addition to the genre.

Another buddy-read with royalty: Brightlord Petrik and Brightness Aria.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

January 17, 2015 – Shelved
January 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 4, 2016 – Started Reading
December 5, 2016 –
page 64
5.09% ""Words aren't meant to be kept inside, you see. They are free creatures, and if locked away will unsettle the stomach."\n\nI really love this so far. *sighs contentedly*"
December 5, 2016 –
page 146
11.61% ""Well, I myself find that respect is like manure. Use it where needed, and growth will flourish. Spread it on too thick, and things just start to smell."
December 6, 2016 –
page 157
12.48% "“Now,” she said, “you were right to compare the mind and the stomach.” \n\n“But—” \n\n"Too many of us,” she said, “take great pains with what we ingest through our mouths, and far less with what we partake of through our ears and eyes. Wouldn’t you say?”"
December 6, 2016 –
page 204
16.22% "Totally just fell asleep while reading and dropped my kindle on my face."
December 7, 2016 –
page 252
20.03% "Elhokar is an idiot."
December 7, 2016 –
page 262
20.83% "“I don’t know what I am either. A bridgeman? A surgeon? A soldier? A slave? Those are all just labels. Inside, I’m me. A very different me than I was a year ago, but I can’t worry about that, so I just keep moving and hope my feet take me where I need to go.”"
December 8, 2016 –
page 385
30.6% ""Can't be any harder than sitting here and having a staring contest with my mortality."\n\nDeep words, Teft."
December 9, 2016 –
page 473
37.6% "Sadeas is just so rude."
December 9, 2016 –
page 542
43.08% "I do not approve of your decision, Dalinar. Not even a little bit."
December 11, 2016 –
page 569
45.23% ""I guess I could get behind that."\n\n"Oh?"\n\n"Yes. Much easier to stab it in the back from that position.""
page 607
48.25% "Lopen is just precious."
page 642
51.03% "Syl was silent for a moment. “Do you want to be a miracle?” \n\n"No,” Kaladin whispered. “But for them, I will be.”\n\n*tear trickles down cheek*"
page 662
52.62% "JASNAH JUST BECAME A THOUSAND TIMES COOLER. Or hotter, depending on your point of view! ;-P"
December 13, 2016 –
page 764
60.73% "An uprising is coming."
December 14, 2016 –
page 841
66.85% "Well, I understand Kaladin a lot better now. THAT SCENE WAS SO SAD."
December 17, 2016 –
page 930
73.93% "I have been twice betrayed, and have been told to expect a third betrayal. Dang it."
December 17, 2016 –
page 972
77.27% "Well, it happened. I tried so hard to prevent it, but to no avail. I just broke the spine on my copy. ARGH!"
December 18, 2016 –
page 1011
80.37% "My two favorite characters have met at last! Side note: Wit is my literary darling."
December 18, 2016 –
page 1084
86.17% "Dang Dalinar. You've got moves. \n\n*Smooth Operator playing softly in the distance*"
page 1113
88.47% "I love Bridge Four so much. It feels like I've watched my babies grow into men of honor. And Kaladin's courage and selflessness make my heart ache. He's a gorgeous human being."
page 1141
90.7% "Y'all... I'm all watered up right now. Syl's revelation and Kaladin's inner struggle with the hallowed oaths shattered me."
page 1158
92.05% "Neptune's Beard, this just keeps getting more and more epic. KALADIN!!!"
page 1226
97.46% "MOTHER OF PLOT TWISTS, BATMAN. That was some revelation."
December 19, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 19, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
December 19, 2016 – Shelved as: monstrously-large
December 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 1, 2017 – Shelved as: best-books-i-ve-ever-read

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)

☽Luna☾ Enjoy my lovely babies

James Tivendale First time for you Celeste? I am so jealous ! :) I hope you love it as much as I did. So many great characters xx

Celeste I'm sure we will, Sarah! And thanks, James! I'm so excited right now! Sanderson has never let me down, and I know this is viewed as his crowning achievement. I'm so ready to dig in!!

☽Luna☾ Haha this will be ur first Christmas present for the year because your in for a treat <33

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Happy reading loves! <3

Celeste That's a great way to view it, Sarah.

And thanks, Mary!

Petrik let's do this ladies!! :D

Celeste Woohoo! So excited! And also, not to get to mushy or anything, but I really love buddy reading with you, dear. ;-p

Petrik Celeste wrote: "Woohoo! So excited! And also, not to get to mushy or anything, but I really love buddy reading with you, dear. ;-p"

Aww, so do I dear. Don't worry! We'll have a lot more buddy read to come! ;)

Celeste So many more to come! Hooray!

message 11: by David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party (last edited Dec 06, 2016 03:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party I absolutely loved this book and its vast world-building, Celeste, I'm happy you're enjoying it so much yourself! :D It's no mystery why this novel is notoriously difficult to put down...

Celeste Thanks, David! I can absolutely see why this is already being considered a masterpiece. It's wonderful!

Sandra Oooohhh I love that Archduchess. Hahaha. :D

Celeste Haha, so I dub thee! ;)

Sandra Thank you for making my dream of becoming royalty a reality, Celeste. :) Wow. I can't believe that rhymed. Haha

Celeste Haha, you're very welcome, love. According to Petrik's review in queen, so I can do that!

☽Luna☾ Great review lovely x

Celeste Thank you, dear! You were right; it's definitely my new favorite!

Srivalli Great review!!! and yes, AMAZING work by Sanderson! :)

Celeste Thank you, Srivalli! Yes indeed, I stand in awe of that man.

Petrik This is your best review so far love. Such an amazing book indeed!! I can't wait for yoi to get into book 2! Love doing this buddy read with you! :)

Celeste Thank you, love! I really enjoyed getting to discuss this with you as I read!

message 23: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan Excellent review befitting the brilliance of this book.

ZeN You will wait to read the next book? Oooh Why?? It's even better than the first!

Celeste Thank you so much, TS! And Zen, I just want to savor it as long as I can, thus I've decided to draw it out. If I liked it any less I would jump into it immediately. Does that make any kind of sense? I'm hoarding it, I suppose!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Great review Celeste!!! You & P are seriously making me so freaking excited to read this I'm literally dead ok!!!

Celeste Thank you, Mary my love! I can't wait for you to give it a read!

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) I love this review and I agree with Mary like I WANNA READ THIS !! You're so tempting me to throw everything away and just pick this up.

Celeste Aw, thank you dear. The two of you should totally make this your first read of the New Year! ;)

Petrik you definitely should read this Mary! this series is perfection! :D

Nafeeza Great review Celeste! The characters truly are fantastic. <3 Kaladin, Dalinar, Wit and Szeth.

Nafeeza Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Great review Celeste!!! You & P are seriously making me so freaking excited to read this I'm literally dead ok!!!"

After you finish Mistborn, you should definitely read this Mary! (If you haven't read Warbreaker yet, you should read it too before this, though it is not mandatory) but it will make somethings extra special... ;)

Celeste Thank you, Nafeeza!

message 34: by Petrik (last edited Dec 21, 2016 11:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Nafeeza wrote: "Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Great review Celeste!!! You & P are seriously making me so freaking excited to read this I'm literally dead ok!!!"

After you finish Mistborn, you should definitely ..."

Nafeeza Petrik wrote: "Nafeeza wrote: "Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Great review Celeste!!! You & P are seriously making me so freaking excited to read this I'm literally dead ok!!!"

I really think reading Warbreaker really made a great additional impact on Words of Radiance. I'm really lucky I read that first before reading Stormlight. Luckily Mary already read it with me so she's all good! :D ..."

So there is nothing stopping her! :D

Haïfa Amazing review my sweet Celeste !! You guys make want to delve back in Roshar so badly !!

Celeste Thank you so much, dear! Roshar is such a beautiful place!

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Great review Celeste! And to think book two is even better - looking forward to your thoughts on that one ;)

Petrik Congrats for 100 likes dear! Proud of you! :)

Celeste Thank you, Eon! I'm really looking forward to Words of Radiance.

Celeste Thank you, love! This is the first review of mine that's ever gotten that many likes! Eeep!

message 42: by Saša (new) - added it

Saša Omeragić I was on the verge of deciding where to go next after finishing the Realm of the Erderlings series, but your comment "It has supplanted The Name of the Wind as my favorite fantasy novel of all-time" just decided... let's see if I'll agree :-) Thnx

Celeste Aw, thanks so much Saša! I hope you enjoy it!!

message 44: by Mallory (new) - added it

Mallory I'm currently reading this right now and I'm also trying to savor every character as possible because I know that at some point it's going to go into hyperspeed. This is my first Sanderson and I'm loving it so far!

Celeste I'm so glad you're loving it, Mallory!!

blossingbooks Wow. Your opinion, but I really don't get how people love this book that much. And even deem it superior to The Name of the wind. *gasps* That is just... surprising.

Celeste blossingbooks wrote: "Wow. Your opinion, but I really don't get how people love this book that much. And even deem it superior to The Name of the wind. *gasps* That is just... surprising."

It just really resonated with me. I wrote this review a couple of years ago, and though I no longer think I love it more than NotW, it remains one of my favorite books I've ever read. While the prose isn't as beautiful as that in NotW, it evoked powerful emotions that have stayed with me. I know not every book is for every reader, but I definitely think this book deserves its acclaim.