Angie McLain's Reviews > Drowning to Breathe

Drowning to Breathe by A.L. Jackson

11973963
6 Overwhelmingly Exquisite Stars – Drowning to Breathe is a sequel that will wreak havoc on your emotions and leave you feeling blissed out on happiness in the end!

Drowning to Breathe is the continuation of Shea and Sebastian’s story. A Stone in the Sea left us all hanging in a massive cliff hanger and I could not wait to read the next book!

Shea has just had the one person she loves most in this world ripped from her arms, she is totally devastated and now she is forced to revisit and share secrets of her past with Sebastian. Sebastian is reeling from the knowledge that was just thrust upon him and in the most brutal ways imaginable. He has grown to love Shea and her daughter, dreaming of the family he never thought he could have, but now he doubts what he feels for Shea, she’s lied to him.

“I felt like I’d been sucker punched. Because that’s exactly what I was. A sucker. A fool because I’d let myself go…let go of all my control and gave it to this girl.”

Shea has the best intentions, keeping her daughter Kallie, safe and moving on from her past. Her mother betrayed her years ago, by handing her over to a man who did nothing but use and abuse her. In order to remain safe, and protect her baby Shea ran and left Delaney Rhodes behind. A decision that she’s never questioned. I mean honestly why would she? How far would you run and what would you sacrifice in order to protect your child?

“Yes, I lied to you. But it’s a lie I’ve told everyone, including myself. It’s the only way I knew how to survive. It was the only way Kallie and I could live a normal life. You don’t know what that man is capable of, and if lying about his existence kept my daughter safe, then I would do it a million times over.”

Shea and Sebastian’s story is touching. It’s poignant, my heart ached for them. When they finally discover that they are much stronger together than apart, I felt relief, the tides may be shifting. They realize a kind of love that they’ve both always dreamed of and needed. What takes place over the course of this story is nothing short of stunning. Both Shea and Sebastian are able to face their pasts, lay ghosts of their past to rest and finally be honest and open with each other. Once this happens it becomes clear that there is nothing that their love cannot overcome.

“You changed everything about me, Baz. You changed everything I wanted because what I ended up wanting was you. You and Kallie. That’s all I need.”

I absolutely loved this story, I loved the characters and the writing was incredible. AL Jackson has outdone herself. I loved A Stone in the Sea but Drowning to Breathe was spectacular. This was a sequel that was even better than its predecessor. The emotional journey that these two characters took together was beguiling. Getting to experience them work through their doubts, confronting their past and moving on with their future was a truly amazing experience. This story left my heart feeling full and content. I was overjoyed that these two characters could find true happiness and at peace after so much tragedy and betrayal. Drowning to Breathe is a must read filled with feels, heat, and touching moments that leave you grinning. It’s the perfect way to spend an afternoon, lost among the pages, consuming a story that will stay with you long after you’ve finished the last page.

FGBB Top Read 2015!

“I should have known better, then. Should have known this was real. Unstoppable. Unbreakable.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning to Breathe.

January 17, 2015 – Shelved