Abby's Reviews > Sex: A Book for Teens: An Uncensored Guide to Your Body, Sex, and Safety

Sex by Nikol Hasler

Aug 16, 2010

bookshelves: teen, sexuality, nonfiction
Read in August, 2010

Also read for work. A funny, informative & non-preachy guide to sexuality and sexual health for teens of all ages and sexual orientations. Short but chock-full of great information delivered in a humorous, non-judgmental voice that teens will appreciate. The best sex guide for teens I've seen since good ole Changing Bodies, Changing Lives (which in my mind is still the gold standard, but sadly hasn't been updated since 1998). If I was a parent, I would make sure my kids got a copy of this book before they hit puberty. For more info, check out my professional review on the Teen Services Goodreads account.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sex.

message 1: by Rie (new)

Rie I've been looking for a teen sex/puberty guide that doesn't pathologize queerness (as in, makes it into an issue instead of integrating it into the text.) Does this fit the bill?

Teen Yes! One of the things I liked so much about this guide is that the author directly addresses queer teens as one of the primary audiences for the book and not "deviants from the norm" that enlightened straight people should know about. Queer sex and relationships are discussed in the same straightforward, accessible, and non-judgmental language as hetero sex and relationships. Furthermore, there's no single chapter dedicated just to queer teens -- queer-specific & -friendly information is integrated throughout the entire book -- so queer teens aren't ghettoized and straight teens can't simply "skip over" that chapter. Personally, I find this approach much more appealing than more traditional sex guides that relegate this information to one section and the rest of the book is written with an unstated assumption that the reader is straight.

Someone else on Goodreads pointed out that the illustrations are a little heteronormative, and I think that's a fair critique -- I would have preferred to see more images of same-sex couples. But the text strikes just the right tone. You should definitely check it out!

Teen Oh, this is still Abby by the way.

message 4: by Rie (new)

Rie Fantastic! Exactly what I needed as a teen, and so many teens need today.

BTW, Anthea Paul's Girlosophy uses non-gendered language when talking about one's partner for the most part, a pleasant change of pace I didn't even realize until I reread it a year ago.