Angelina's Reviews > Valley - Tal der Wächter

Valley - Tal der Wächter by Jonathan Stroud

Jan 17, 2015

bookshelves: german

OK, gather around children. It's story time with grandma. This is the story about beer. Well, technically it isn't about beer. It is about a boy with extremely bad luck (but the story still wouldn't have happened if some people didn't get drunk from beer).

The book was originally in English and called "Heroes of the Valley" and it literally started with story time with some elder talking about the history of the valley. I will quickly rehash it: there are 12 heroes, some of them are Sven, Aren, Hakon and others. They died fighting monsters called Trolde. And now these heroes have Houses names after them. Hal comes from Sven's House. Every chapter starts with a page about Sven's heroic deeds. Then we get to read about Hal growing up until he is 14 years old. Then he gets in trouble because his family just hates him. Then he finally meets Aud after 100 pages in. Then we don't meet Aud again after halfway through the book. I really liked the story though.

The writing style was mysterious though and there were a lot of arguments. When there was a plan, the writer didn't immediately reveal it, we had to guess it until the action came.

You couldn't rush this book. Every time I read it, I felt like I was in the story. When the book came to an end, I was really sad because the book ended with story time again, talking about how Hal lived in your grandmother's time.

The beginning was a bit confusing with all the Houses and everything, that's why I can't give this book 5 stars, but it definitely made it to 4 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valley - Tal der Wächter.

Quotes Angelina Liked

Jonathan Stroud
“Ah, you coward! Look at you, running."

"Actually, it's called improvising.”
Jonathan Stroud, Heroes of the Valley