Judy Croome's Reviews > Collected Ghost Stories

Collected Ghost Stories by M.R. James

Jan 17, 2015

Written in a more innocent and graceful era, MR James's ghost stories are subtle, with very polite and, at times, utterly chilling ghosts.

I enjoyed most of them, with some of the stories giving me delicious goosebumps (The Ash Tree, Number 13, Oh Whistle & I'll come to thee, my Lad, The Uncommon Prayer Book, Wailing Well and others).

One issue I had with this particular text, was that the explanatory notes were by means of an * (no differentiaton within each story) and the note itself was at the back of the book, rather than at the foot of the relevant page, which would have made reading the explanations without interrupting the pace and tension of the story a lot easier. In the end, I stopped looking at the notes and just enjoyed the stories, although I would have liked to know what some references meant.

Quaint and appealing, these ghost stories are a great read in bed late at night ...!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Collected Ghost Stories.

January 17, 2015 – Started Reading
January 17, 2015 – Shelved
February 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Margitte (new)

Margitte I so well remember the first ghost story I read my kids when they were still young - between 5 and 8 years old. All three in bed, in winter, with me, and their first ghost story to happen. Of course I dramatized it to the limits. I still feel so bad when I think about their reactions. Their mom felt like a sadist for laughing. Perhaps I should get this book for the grand children! hehehehe. Oh I don't think they will ever forgive me. Loved your review!

Judy Croome Margitte: ag sies, Margitte, your poor kids are probably still traumatised!! But at least with these ghost stories your grandkids will get the chills without the violence of more modern ghost stories (a la Stephen King)!

message 3: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Judy wrote: "Margitte: ag sies, Margitte, your poor kids are probably still traumatised!! But at least with these ghost stories your grandkids will get the chills without the violence of more modern ghost stori..."

Hahahahaha, I knowwwww, don't rub it in! You've got a point there. I better ask them about it. :-)))))