Sophia's Reviews > The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, jane-austen-austenesque, na

I watched the innovative and fun YouTube serial and became addicted to each week's latest installment. I was tickled to discover this companion book to the on-line story of a modern grad student who shares her daily life in a series of short vlog installments on-line that pull in all the quirky people around her as well.

The authors did a great job providing new 'behind the scenes' style material and helping Lizzie and the crew come alive more than ever even while referencing some of the best moments of the on-line series. There was the humor that is ever present in the series, but also a more complex blend of emotions are drawn out by the extension of what was scene in the short video segments.

It may read a tad bumpy for those who start with this book instead of the online story, but it does read fast and easily with sass, humor, and charm. I think my biggest surprise was how much I really enjoyed the extras about Lydia and the more developed Mr. and Mrs. Bennet.

For those, like me, who are curious to see Jane Austen's story told as a college age modern piece through a series of diary entries, this will hit the spot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet.

January 16, 2015 – Shelved