Tatiana's Reviews > Amy & Roger's Epic Detour

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, chick-lit, ya
Recommended to Tatiana by: Crystal
Recommended for: fans of YA summer romances and playlists

I am not a big fan of formulaic, Sarah Dessen-type summer YA romances, but the reviews of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour were so glowing, I wanted to give it a try. I did enjoy it, as much as I can enjoy a story that employs such genre cliches as makeovers and two teens sleeping in the same bed because, oh my!, there are no other options available.

The book is cute and sweet, engaging and a very quick read. The main characters, albeit fairly superficially drawn, are nice, likable people. Although Amy is in a state of grief over her father's death, her narration, to my relief, never becomes an overblown angstravaganza (like, let's say, Revolution - another YA novel about grief and guilt). Unhealthy, stalkerish and abusive relationships are not promoted here. The format is great too, it is sort of scrapbooky, with tons of notes, pictures, and receipts. I have to say, however, some of the scrapbook pages are not inserted into the narrative very well, they interrupt the flow of the story. But it's a minor flaw.

As for negatives, they are mostly genre-related - the story is fairly predictable, the characterization is basic and the dialog is not as interesting as it could have been. My major beef with the novel is (view spoiler) I wish this scene would never have been in the book, but I guess the genre requirements called for it?

Anyway, what I am trying to say, is that after reading YA authors like Melina Marchetta, it's hard for me to sing praises to this particular YA novel. But readers who enjoy sweet, inoffensive, wholesome stories written by Siobhan Vivian, Elizabeth Scott and Simone Elkeles, will definitely love this book.

If you are looking for another road trip type story, I recommend Paper Towns, which is much more fun and less cliche-ridden.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy & Roger's Epic Detour.

August 16, 2010 – Shelved
October 29, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
October 29, 2010 – Shelved as: chick-lit
October 29, 2010 – Shelved as: ya
October 29, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

Crystal Oh I hope you like this one, I thought it was very sweet =)

Crystal Good review =)

Tatiana Thanks. I did enjoy it. I have read in some review that there is going to be a sequel??

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather Woot! You gave a shout out to John Green. I didn't think you liked "Paper Towns"...

Tatiana I did. I wasn't too crazy about An Abundance of Katherines, but Paper Towns was my 1st read of his and his obsession with crazy girls was fresh then.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Oh that's right.

Crystal Hmm I didn't know about a sequel, I liked how it ended I don't think a sequel is needed.

message 8: by Desperado (new)

Desperado Awesome review, Tatiana!

message 9: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy Great review!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Nice review. I like the thought of the friendliness of a scrapbook style book. It sounds like it could be fun.

message 11: by Kyla (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kyla Yeah, these were the same problems I had with it...

message 12: by Rika (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rika I totally agree about the sex scene it came out of no where and neither of them really broached the topic afterwards. The only thing about them that didn't sit me with well.

Sireen Nice review :D I completely agree with you about the insertions of scrapbook pages. It DID ruin the flow of the story b/c they were oddly placed. I also wasn't extremely happy with the ending. It felt rushed and i wish there had been a talk with her mother. A flash forward would have been nice :D "One Year Later......" :)