Sarah's Reviews > Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity

Why I Became an Atheist by John W. Loftus

Aug 15, 2010

bookshelves: memoir-biography, religion-critique
Read in August, 2010

While lengthy and repetitive in some areas, John Loftus makes an excellent case against the belief in a deity; specifically with regards to Christianity. A former preacher, Loftus is familiarized with the Bible and religious teachings in ways that many are not. In this book, he begins by listing the multitude of arguments in defense of Christianity (ranging from philosophical, to evidential, to historical; and beyond) from which he systematically refutes their plausibility. Brilliantly executed, Loftus’ particular approach highlights the specifics; evidential and historical failures (copious examples from the Bible and the Gospels), philosophical arguments (from Aristotle, to Kant, to Craig, and back again), and the ultimate analysis underneath it all.

This book is not for religious beginners and requires extensive background knowledge of the Bible and Christian history for complete understanding. While Loftus makes incredible and irrefutable points, the discussion is held on a more advanced level than, say, the discussions of Sam Harris or Dan Barker. While all equally credible and remarkable, Loftus requires a dedication of the reader and speaks to an audience already familiarized with the intricacies of religious debate.

The detail and absolute thoroughness with which Loftus executes his arguments makes this book an informational gold mine. I was extremely impressed and would recommend this book to anyone seriously interested in the intricacies of the evidence; or lack thereof.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why I Became an Atheist.

07/09/2016 marked as: read