Amanda G. (Nellie and Co.'s Reviews > Enders

Enders by Lissa Price

11942698

liked it
bookshelves: own

I was always a little confused over why I was so eager to continue with the Starters series after only enjoying Starters rather than loving it, but Enders reminded me that sometimes, it's less about the world and more about the people in it, and that's something Price does oh so right. Callie is a really easy character to invest in, and sharing her heartache, her pains, her trials, her shock and her experiences makes following Enders so easy and enjoyable, I could not put it down.

I still definitely had issues with the world building as with Starters, and the ending definitely felt a little open for my liking, but I appreciated that Price really developed familial relationships and friendships over romance in this installment, especially her friendship with Michael and her never wavering passion to help other Starters like her that she'd met along the way - not to say there wasn't any romance, but it definitely wasn't forced, nor did it impose on the pace and flow of the story.

I do think it's a shame that this series wasn't at least another book larger, merely for the sake of world building and a clearer, better paced plot, more charcater development in terms with the after effects of some of the experiences in the two novels, and also more time to spent on the overall build up of the larger reveal. I do admit to being a little surprised by the turn of events, but with more emotional investment over more time and another novel, I might have considered it a rather impressive turn for the time when it was published.

Sure, I'd recommend the series to people looking for more of a light dystopian that's got itself some rather quick reads, but I wouldn't expect people to fall head over heels. I really loved the concept, and would easily eat up more stories following other characters in the same world due to Price's really enjoyable writing style, but in terms of being on a level with some of my more favoured novels, I would say not quite.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enders.

January 15, 2015 – Shelved