writer...'s Reviews > Be My Companion: A Study of Spiritual Direction

Be My Companion by Jean Stairs

Jan 15, 2015

bookshelves: spiritual-direction, canadian-authors, canadian-book-challenge-7-12

Presenting the basic call for recovery of spiritual direction in the protestant circle and the place of spiritual practice in discipleship.

Be My Companion offers three sections: Biblical Perspective of spiritual direction from both Jesus and Paul's examples plus summary.
Historical Perspective of St. Teresa of Avila, Thomas Merton, St Ignatius of Loyola, and contemporary, John English, along with summary. And finally, Practical Perspective of the role and identity of the pastor, the unconscious and the implications for the SD, and implementation within pastoral ministry, also summarized.

A thoughtful and inspiriting call to meet the need for spiritual direction and spiritual directors as Ms Stairs challenges the institutional church to examine their role in preparing seminarians to live the disciplines required for SD in order to be intentional in spiritual development of their congregants.

Be My Companion includes quotes of and references to other authors writing in the SD field for further examination.

Helpful References section is thorough, as is Bibliography, for further study.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Be My Companion.

Started Reading