Nadine Larter's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

bookshelves: my-library, my-library-read

I really loved this book, which is a little bit weird because I hated the main character. I think perhaps the feeling of "learning" as I read helped to negate the fact that I could not quite get behind this woman's treatment of people. I don't know why but that kind of self inflicted isolation always strikes me as weak. I imagine my annoyance at this exact brand of character possibly says a lot about me as a person, and most likely nothing good, but I just can't help it. While I did feel a certain (limited!) empathy for Victoria, I could not help but be angered by the senselessness of her situation - but then again, without her toxic persona there would have been no story to tell, would there? There would only be an unhappy beginning with a perfectly acceptable resolution that spanned over a year instead of ten. Hardly bookworthy. I think perhaps I myself am addicted to others, despite my affection for frequent isolation. Love is one thing I have never shied away from, despite having had my heart broken on a number of occasions, not only by men, of course, but by people I have trusted as well. I think a capacity for heartbreak can overwhelm all of us, but I struggle to relate to the kind of brokenness that retaliates in the harm of others. I especially do not understand the compulsion to harm myself or others in the attempt to "protect myself". It is such a strange thing to me. This means that I am most likely lucky, which is something I know and do not take for granted. While I believe that I am personally plagued and affected (often negatively) by my own past, just like many others are, for some reason it has never shut me off to love. Love I feel and embrace it with my whole being. Always. Whether I find it in a book that I love, or art, or a partner, my child, my family, my friends. It is all consuming, and the exquisiteness of love has always, and I hope will always, trump its ability to bring with it the most excruciating of heartbreaks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

January 15, 2015 – Shelved
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library
January 27, 2015 – Started Reading
January 28, 2015 –
page 52
12.94% "I must admit that I struggle with main characters who are assholes. I am assuming that the point is some sort of transformation but still, this maater-of-fact nastiness aimed at undeserving beings irritates me. I know I should be able to empathise but I can't. Possibly why Harry Potter worked so well for me."
January 29, 2015 –
page 150
37.31% "Going too slow. Family keeps wanting to "do stuff" and "eat". Must make myself a "leave me alone, I'm reading " sign."
January 31, 2015 –
page 243
60.45% "Loving this book despite having little patience for the main character. I love it when I feel like a book is teaching me things."
February 1, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library-read