P α t r i c i α's Reviews > All Fall Down

All Fall Down by Ally Carter

Jan 15, 2015

bookshelves: netgalley, review

All fall Down is the first book of the Embassy Row series by Ally Carter, the New York Times bestselling author of the Gallagher Girls and Heist Society series.
The narration is in first person told by the main character mixing the narration with memories (flashes) from the past. The time used is the present, both in the narrative and memories, so you would think they are going through at the same moment.
While her father and her brother Jamie are in military service, Grace is sent to Embassy Row in Adria to live with her grandfather, the American ambassador. At Embassy Row are all embassies. Despite the fact that all the embassies are in peace with each other, there is always this underlying tension. And a single wrong move can mean war since each person in the embassy is a representative of that country and Grace is scared she will be do that wrong move.
Though the politics wasn't the primary aim of the plot, it was nice to see Grace considering the implications of her actions and how they would affect on her grandfather's work and also on her nation's reputation.
At the age of thirteen, Grace watched her mother die in front of her eyes, she was murdered. Although almost no one believes Grace about her mother’s died, she goes ahead in search of the truth about what happened that tragic day, fighting for adults to take her seriously and believe in her. Her constant attempts to catch the man who killed her mother were admirable, but on a couple of occasions, incredibly stupid. I felt like at some points she was just begging to be caught and killed.
About the secondary characters I have to mention Noah, his new and self-proclaimed best friend, a character who gives a funny twist to the plot. Also I have to mention Alexei, at first I did not know what to think about this character because he is the son of the ambassador of Russia (and we know about the tension between America and Russia, they speak of it in the story too), but as I was reading I realized that there's some type of love interest because it was palpable the chemistry between the two characters.
Other than that, I would’ve liked to see more political involvement in this book, because I really liked loved the whole embassy idea.
All Fall Down combines a world of diplomacy and a whole lot of emotional matter with a touch of political espionage doing so a story that keeps you in suspense from the beginning, trying to guess what will happen and making you read more when what you thought was going to happen doesn't happen. If you want a fun and quick read with a little more substance and politics than the typical Young adult contemporary, this is a booke I would recommend you.

I received a digital copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Also you can read the spanish review in my blog "Cada libro un mundo": http://cadalibrounmundoblog.blogspot....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Fall Down.

January 15, 2015 – Started Reading
January 15, 2015 – Shelved
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 15, 2015 –
January 16, 2015 –
33.0% "The narration fascinates me because it blends the present with the past (the only indication that is a memory of the past is that it is written in italics). \n I am liking enough the personality of the protagonist and, as is told from his perspective, that makes reading easier.\n The story itself is hooked me, but this part is leaving me a little indiferete, I hope it improves."
January 22, 2015 –
61.0% "It is getting better :)"
January 23, 2015 – Finished Reading