Maria Ella's Reviews > Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman by Alan Moore

Jan 15, 2015

bookshelves: 2015-reading-challenge, crime-stories, graphic, most-loved, something-weird

“So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there's always madness. Madness is the emergency exit.”

I do not normally read these kinds of Graphic Novels, involving a superhero. But since my chief is a fan of Alan Moore's story and art (and I suppose a fan of this kind) he let me read one of his brother's collections in one sitting.

The Noir vibe of Joker's back-story made us look into the Sepia-colored-past of one of Batman's biggest villains. In the first few panels of this brownish tones, we saw that he lacked the self-esteem, feeling desperate for his wife and the incoming baby. This part of his life portrayed some of the make-or-break scenarios that tug our sensitivity, or might as well, increased our sympathy quotient.

In mere less-than-a-hundred pages, we tried filling in the gaps. The open-ended sequence of 9 panels in the last page - when the police light became visible and the rain got stronger - Alan Moore nailed that cliffhanger.

It made me wonder at our protagonist - if he, known as the more rational, used the emergency exit.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

January 15, 2015 – Started Reading
January 15, 2015 – Shelved
January 15, 2015 –
page 39
60.94% "First time reading this Alan Moore art! Chief says Heath Ledger read this before embarking on the Joker Role. Yea, medyo laslas sya."
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reading-challenge
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: crime-stories
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: graphic
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: most-loved
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: something-weird
January 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Tricia One of the creepiest The Joker's backstory I've read.

Maria Ella Actually there is a review here in Goodreads that says he made the character of the Joker weak. Kasi ampathetic ng pinanggalingan nya...? The back story in sepia colors tells the origin of him falling into the chemical pit. Pero kahit sa Cartoon Network ganun rin ang kwento eh, nahulog siya.

Tapos parang sobrang tanda na ni Jim Gordon sa komiks, antaba pa hehe

Tricia Maria Ella wrote: "Actually there is a review here in Goodreads that says he made the character of the Joker weak. Kasi ampathetic ng pinanggalingan nya...? The back story in sepia colors tells the origin of him fall..."

Well, not all villains started strong naman. Oo nga, ang chaka ni Detective Jim while on Gotham (TV series) omg ang pogi.