Buffy B's Reviews > Invisible Monsters

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Jan 05, 2008

Recommended to Buffy by: Tom from Vermont
Read in January, 2004

I have a theory about Chuck Palahniuk books.
If somebody is starting to read Chuck Palahniuk for the first time...the first book they read of his will always be their favorite. I have found that to be the case with many people.
I really enjoyed Invisible Monsters and it was the first Chuck Palahniuk book I read. It was such a new approach to writing that I had never seen before, and I found myself really engrossed and moved by the now-usual Palahniuk twisty ending. It was such a shocking book to me that I loved every page of it.
Of course, since, I have read Chuck Palahniuk books that I could consider to be better, but the initial shock of this book on me has kept it the one I've liked the most.
A lot of people I have talked to really don't like this book of Palahniuk's, but I think that is probably because they didn't read it first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Monsters.

02/16/2016 marked as: read

Dianetto Totally true with several authors. Hornby for instance.

message 2: by ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

ben holum I've noticed that seems to happen with music albums as well. The first album you hear by a band tends to be your favorite.

message 3: by Zora (new) - added it

Zora I agree with your theory! Rant is my favorite and it's the first one I've read.

message 4: by Dai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dai I think I'm the exception to this rule, even though everyone I know who has read Palahniuk fits the rule!
I read Fight Club first, and loved it, but actually enjoyed Survivor even more.

Janelle Westfall Maybe, idk. Invisible Monsters is the third Palahniuk book I've read, but it's definitely my favorite so far.

Haunted was my first, Diary was my second. I'll be reading Choke & Snuff in the days to come.

Rhea This is my first Palahniuk as well and I loved it! It's probably the most disturbing and hilarious book I've read thus far and I will recommend this to anyone who has the guts to try it.

Chuck oddly enough my first book was "Diary," and is one of my least favorite. I don't think I was ready for him yet. I think this book primed me..

Juan Araizaga The first book I´ve read of Palahniuk was "The fight club" and then "Diary". My favorites are Choke and Rant. But I agree with you, in the statement of "Invisible Monsters" should be the book that everybody read for the first time with Palahniuk.

Aisling Choke was the first I read and I am not a fan.

message 10: by Autumn (new) - added it

Autumn I agree although Survivor was my first but it's still my very favorite. I tend to be like this with authors and music artists equally probably because of the initial impression and sentiment.

Ángel Pantoja Nice theory haha but Pygmy was my first Palahniuk's book and it isn't my favorite one. I think it's probably Fight Club, my third one, or maybe Choke, my second one.