Branwen *of House Targaryen*'s Reviews > Crown Duel

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith

bookshelves: fantasy-science-fiction

People change just as the seasons change, and each spring brings new growth. So nothing is ever quite the same.

Countess Meliara and her brother Bran promise their dying father that they will protect their people and the land from their tyrant of a King. But she soon learns that is easier said than done. For overthrowing the current ruler isn't all about battles and fighting and war. There is a war that takes place inside the politics of the palace as well. And Meliara must learn to think quick on her feet and adapt if she is to survive.

I can't say enough about this book! I was hooked from the first chapter and it kept me loving it until the very end. Whereas many fantasy books focus on battles and action (and this book did have its fair share of battles also) the primary focus of this story was centered on the intrigue and battle of wits and power that take place within the palace itself. Courtly politics and flirtations abound and it takes all of your intelligence and cunning to say above water in this type of situation! If you enjoy the castle politics in The Song of Ice and Fire series (minus the bloodbaths) than you would also enjoy this book, because that is the main focus. I loved it. The book was long, and it provided ample time to get to know the characters really well and just overall draw you into their world.

A wonderful fantasy book! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown Duel.

January 14, 2015 – Started Reading
January 14, 2015 – Shelved
January 14, 2015 –
page 36
7.64% "Was not expecting to start this one next, but I ended up reading the prologue while making tea and now I'm hooked!"
January 15, 2015 –
January 20, 2015 –
page 402
January 21, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy-science-fiction
January 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy "If you enjoy the castle politics in The Song of Ice and Fire series (minus the bloodbaths) than you would also enjoy this book, because that is the main focus."Yes, this sounds amazing! I'm glad you liked it. I'm definitely bumping this up on my TBR list.

Branwen *of House Targaryen* Stacy wrote: ""If you enjoy the castle politics in The Song of Ice and Fire series (minus the bloodbaths) than you would also enjoy this book, because that is the main focus."Yes, this sounds amazing! I'm glad ..."

Oh yay! I'm so glad! :D Yes, I think you would really enjoy it! It really reminded me of all the Kings Landing scenes in The Song of Ice and Fire! :) :)