Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽'s Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: mystery, oldies-but-goodies

If you're on a train (or boat, or island), planning to commit a nice, unsolvable murder, and you find out Hercule Poirot is one of the guests . . . Just change your plans. That is all.

description

I'd like to know if anyone has ever solved this particular murder mystery. It's mind-boggling, and deservedly one of Agatha Christie's better-known books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

Finished Reading
January 14, 2015 – Shelved
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery
January 15, 2015 – Shelved as: oldies-but-goodies

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Hana One of my all-time favorites. I loved the movie, too--what an ensemble cast that was.

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder I just started this yesterday. Poirot has just finished looking at the body and finding clues in the victims compartment. I've noticed that like DDuMaurier in Rebecca, AC has included the British "ugly American" in her cast of characters.

Anne FAVORITE! Loved this one and Sleeping Murder.

message 4: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Jan 15, 2015 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I don't recall ever reading Sleeping Murder, but I did a boatload of Agatha Christie reading years ago and most of them have kind of blended into each other. I'll have to look for that one.

Ashley Was this a re-read for you or a new read?

message 6: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Jan 15, 2015 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Actually I read this ages ago. I changed my rating of it yesterday, which popped up on my feed, and some of my friends liked it. When that happens I feel morally obligated to add some kind of review. :D

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Hahaha. I so love the gif :D

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Alienortothemoon✭ wrote: "Hahaha. I so love the gif :D"

Thanks! I do wonder why any criminal in Christie's world ever tries to get away with anything when Hercule is in the area. :)

Gabriella Nerina I just finished reading this book, and it's almost 4am where I live haha! It was SO good, I did not expect that kind of ending. Continuing to And Then There Were None now :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Gabriella wrote: "I just finished reading this book, and it's almost 4am where I live haha! It was SO good, I did not expect that kind of ending. Continuing to And Then There Were None now :)"

And Then There Were None is my favorite Christie book. Have fun!

Nandakishore Varma This is one mystery which is really mind-boggling while being perfectly logical in hindsight. Nothing is left to chance or coincidence.

And besides, it's a beautiful story...

message 12: by R.a. (new) - rated it 3 stars

R.a. This one is coming up in my queue.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ R.a. wrote: "This one is coming up in my queue."

I like it because it's unusually creative for a murder mystery, but still believable. The only Christie book I can think of offhand that I liked better is And Then There Were None.

message 14: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph This is one of my favorite Christie books.

message 15: by R.a. (new) - rated it 3 stars

R.a. After decades, I finally return to Christie.

On chance, as a teenager, (Ooops! Er . . . "Young Adult"), I picked up two to three Christie mysteries. I was going along fine, enjoying them.

And then, she cheated!
I threw the book against the wall and have not opened a Christie book since.

Of course, I realize, after reviewing her prolific output, that that mystery either was very early or very late in her career. And, in my youth, I probably was a bit unfair.

The "detectives" were these two teenagers, (young adults). ??? I still cannot remember the title.

But, I return . . .

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ R.a., you were reading one of the "Tommy and Tuppence" books. A lot of readers dislike them. Stick with Poirot or maybe Miss Marple, or something like And Then There Were None.

Nandakishore Varma Tommy and Tuppence are the weakest of Dame Agatha's Sleuths, IMO. Hercule Poirot is my favourite, while my mom is a diehard fan of Miss Marple.

BTW, David Suchet is perfect as Poirot. :)

message 18: by R.a. (new) - rated it 3 stars

R.a. Thanks again, Tadiana . . .

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ R.a. wrote: "Thanks again, Tadiana . . ."

You're welcome. And seriously, go find a copy of And Then There Were None. It's my favorite Christie mystery, and I've read a lot of hers over the years (most of which I've forgotten). And it's a little bit creepy, which you should enjoy. :D

message 20: by Kim (new)

Kim I probably read too much Christie as a teenager, because I've never felt inspired to re-read her books. (Dorothy L Sayers, on the other hand, I re-read regularly.) This one I particularly liked. It made me want to travel on the Orient Express. Sadly that didn't happen and I don't think I'd want to go on the re-booted one. It wouldn't be the same, even if I could afford to. Oh, and I was one of the minority who liked Tommy and Tuppence. No doubt they wouldn't stand up to a re-read!

message 21: by Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ (last edited Jul 30, 2015 01:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ I read the first Tommy and Tuppence novel, The Secret Adversary, since it's a freebie on Gutenberg. I thought it was just okay; not terrible, not great. It was too easy to guess the bad guy. But in fairness, it was only Christie's second novel. Though her first novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles, actually was a pretty good mystery, now that I think about it...

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽ wrote: "I read the first Tommy and Tuppence novel, The Secret Adversary, since it's a freebie on Gutenberg. I thought it was just okay; not terrible, not great. It was too easy to guess the ba..."

I remember nothing about any (either?) of the Tommy and Tuppence novels, other than I liked the main characters, which was probably because they were young and I was 13 or 14 at the time I read the books. I didn't take to the Miss Marple books and although I wasn't very keen on Hercule Poirot as a character, I didn't mind reading the books in which he featured. My favourite of those is probably The Murder of Roger Ackroyd but that may only be because I remember its twist and remember nothing at all about the thousands of other Poirot novels!

Lorraine I'd like to believe I solved this one but then Christie told me to dream on.

Eliza Totally didn't solve it.

Christie - you wily minx

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Eliza wrote: "Totally didn't solve it.

Christie - you wily minx"

Lol - that is SO true.

message 26: by Janelle (new)

Janelle I would posit that if you're anywhere on vacation and Hercule Poirot is there too, change your plans immediately. At least one person is about to die.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Janelle wrote: "I would posit that if you're anywhere on vacation and Hercule Poirot is there too, change your plans immediately. At least one person is about to die."

Lol! You're right: both the guilty and the innocent are in danger when Poirot is in the vicinity.

GilliansCafe Darn! I was about to kill someone aboard a cruise ship. Just dump them over-board by accident. Then I looked a the passenger roster. Darn that Poirot all to heck!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ GilliansCafe wrote: "Darn! I was about to kill someone aboard a cruise ship. Just dump them over-board by accident. Then I looked a the passenger roster. Darn that Poirot all to heck! "

But look at the bright side: you certainly avoided many years in prison.

GilliansCafe Or hanging!

GilliansCafe How can pictures be added? I didn't know it was possible.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ GilliansCafe wrote: "How can pictures be added? I didn't know it was possible."

It's a little tricky at first but not too bad once you get the hang of it. I wrote up a set of instructions for someone a while back. If I can find them I'll PM them to you.

GilliansCafe Thank you. Much appreciated. This is one of the few sites...at least this part ...where pictures exist that don't have to be rated R.

message 34: by Erika (last edited Feb 04, 2017 04:41PM) (new)

Erika Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "GilliansCafe wrote: "How can pictures be added? I didn't know it was possible."

Perfect and hilarious take on this classic! Can you PM them to me as well? I've done it, but only after a lot of cursing and mumbling about how unclear the directions are.

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Erika wrote: "Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "GilliansCafe wrote: "How can pictures be added? I didn't know it was possible."

No problem, I just PM'd them to both of you. Let me know if you have any questions.

message 36: by Erika (new)

Erika Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Erika wrote: "Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "GilliansCafe wrote: "How can pictures be added? I didn't know it was possible."

It's a little tricky at first but not too bad once you get the hang of it...."

Thanks!

message 37: by Choko (new)

Choko HP is the best!!!

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Choko wrote: "HP is the best!!!"

I saw that and for a second I thought, why is Choko talking about Harry Potter??

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? I adore Kenneth Branagh! Thanks for the heads up!

message 41: by [deleted user] (last edited May 31, 2017 08:50PM) (new)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? I adore Kenneth Branagh! Thanks for the heads up!"

I Know Right? It Also Stars Daisy Ridley Who Plays Rey in The Force Awakens

The Trailer Comes Out Tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your Welcome:)