Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > Ordinary Grace

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

Jan 14, 2015

bookshelves: audio

This is a wonderful book that explores one summer in a small Minnesota town from the perspective of a 13 year-old boy, the son of the local minister. Several deaths occur that force the innocence of this boy and his little brother into the world of loss, grief, God, and grownup emotions. While the unrelated deaths are initially a mystery (a genre this author is known for), the story is primarily about coming-of-age and the role of faith and God during time of difficulty. The literary voice is very true to a boy this age, and was beautiful and sweet, and also a little heartbreaking when he learns some very tough lessons. I did have a few issues with the book, though. Almost everything that these children learn and experience are overheard while hiding and eavesdropping. Now, I know kids do this (I know I did) but it happened so often that it became just a little too convenient. Also, one of the deaths that occurred, probably the most important to the plot, really was no surprise whatsoever. I think it was supposed to be, but it was obvious to me what had happened. Perhaps it really wasn't the point to make the mystery hard to figure out, but it was a little bit of a predictable letdown.

The audio book was narrated by Rich Orlow, who I'd never heard before, but did a beautiful job of portraying the voice of a 13 year old boy, no easy feat. It was truly a pleasure to listen to him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ordinary Grace.

January 14, 2015 – Started Reading