Nadine Larter's Reviews > Power

Power by Jackie Collins

did not like it
bookshelves: my-library, my-library-read

I'm probably going to regret writing this review. Kind of how I regret writing my Fifty Shades reviews or the Fear and Loathing review. Sometimes indignant honesty feels good at the time, but later you re-read yourself and you have to admit that maybe you're just a cow.

I decided to pick up this little series for one main reason: it consists of four very short books. I'm super behind on my reading goal for the year and when we had our yearly Larter "What Are Your Goals For The Year" meeting, I insisted that my only goal for the year was to read 100 books (I'm tired of writing goals falling way short of my expectations) - I have to admit to myself that children need to come first for a little while because I am incapable of juggling. But I am super failing at this most minuscule of goals! And now I'm even cheating because seriously I don't think reading these books counts. Anyway - I chose them because they were short (I bought them at a by-weight book sale about 2 months ago) and because I needed something "easier' to read. The last book I read made me feel super unintelligent - it was out of my league. And then when I actually did start understanding it, it wrecked me a little. So I needed something to unwreck me. I expected this to be a cheap trashy romance novel. With some fun sex scenes and a murder or two thrown in just for fun. Yay!

I also thought to myself that I could probably "learn" something from these books. I read a lot of different types of books and I like to have an idea of what the contemporary masses are consuming. Jackie Collins sounds like that sort of writer. Surely. I can learn something! I can't "learn" from books like Toni Morrison's or Margaret Atwood's or King or Irving or any of those folks because they are too out of my reach. I can only gawk at them in awe. I won't ever write like that, and that's fine.

So I picked up this book. And? Well I'm still scratching my head. I am so confused. None of these characters seem to possess any sort of logic. The entire thing is filled with cliches - though I wonder if they were perhaps not so cliche in 1996 when it was set? So fine. It's not "timeless" - not many folks can pull that off. Totally forgivable. But still... I kind of felt a bit eye roll-y throughout the whole thing. And I can't figure out why this is divided into four books when the first one doesn't really stand alone in any way. It's sort of a nothing story about nothing people. But not in that profound where where nothing happens but you still feel like something has happened. More like stuff happens but you really just don't care. Then again: that's exactly what I was looking for in the wake of my Morrison devastation.

I'm very confused. But I AM learning. I am learning that I think maybe I write this way. And I am worried I won't be able to change that. Because even if this is something that folks really like to read (Collins has many fans - though she may not be to my taste) I don't want to write this way. I worry that I will write in this way that does so very little for me. And I know just how pompous that sounds but I do. I want to write the kind of books that make me happy. These sort of books don't make me happy. They're way too much like fat-free yogurt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power.

January 14, 2015 – Shelved
January 14, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 14, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library
May 20, 2015 – Started Reading
May 20, 2015 –
page 3
2.36% "I decided that some contemporary lightness might be in order after reading Toni Morrison's Love. I have no concept of Jackie Collins' writing but she is a respected author and I imagine that any sex scenes will (hopefully) be consentual for the sake of my currently fragile soul. Also these books are super short and I'm behind on my reading goal for the year."
May 20, 2015 –
page 5
3.94% "Nevermind. Dodgy wanking scene. *sigh*"
May 20, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 21, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Paloma (new)

Paloma Meir I love Jackie Collins but that was a beautifully written review.

Nadine Larter Do you know if she wrote a book about a woman who went to prison? I feel like I read a Jackie Collins in high school about a woman who went to prison and was then gang raped by some inmates. I remember nothing else. But I think I was more impressed with that book (granted I was about 15/16 at the time) than this bunch.