Nadine Larter's Reviews > Starting Over

Starting Over by Tony Parsons

Jan 14, 2015

bookshelves: my-library, my-library-read

I wish I could explain my feelings for Tony Parsons in a way that would do him true justice. Whenever I read his books I feel a sort of heartbreaking hope. I know why, but not well enough to be able to express it accurately. The way Tony writes makes you feel relieved that someone is paying attention to life in such a way that they really do just get it. I think with this book especially, the way George loves Lara makes me feel hopeful. After all that time he still loved her, and not in a daft star-crossed lovers kind of way, but in a real way. It feels a relief to know that someone wrote that, because it kind of means that he feels that way, and feeling that way in itself is kind of lovely. Tony Parsons is someone that I wish everyone would read. I often wonder while I am reading his books if other people see themselves in the characters he creates. And if they do, do they learn about themselves in the process? Do they learn a little something about relationships? Are they inspired? Or does it take too much radical honesty to be able to look at yourself in this way? Maybe that kind of honesty is too rare for it to make an impact. It's strange, I guess. Tony Parsons' work seems so relevant to me, and yet I cannot help but think that relevance might be lost on most. Which is a real pity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starting Over.

January 14, 2015 – Started Reading
January 14, 2015 – Shelved
January 14, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library
January 24, 2015 –
page 224
76.98% "Last stretch. Possibly I should come out of my cave and greet my family at some point..."
January 24, 2015 – Shelved as: my-library-read