Matthew Kiel's Reviews > Letters to a Young Poet

Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

May 11, 2007

Letters to A Young Poet is a correspondence between Rainer Maria Rilke (German lyrical poet) and Franz Xaver Kappus (A young struggling student). I was given this book by a good friend while I was teaching English in Belmead, TX (a small urban community north of Waco). This book came to me in a time when I was struggling with life and needed some encouragement to show me that what I was doing was needed and necessary. This book gave me that and more.

The dialogue between these two men is incredible and the depth is solemnly found anywhere. I can’t say any more than that everyone who has ever struggled to find meaning in this chaotic world should be required to read this book.

“…always the wish that you may find patience enough in yourself to endure, and simplicity enough to believe; that you may acquire more and more confidence in that which is difficult, and in your solitude among others. And for the rest, let life happen to you. Believe me: LIFE IS RIGHT, IN ANY CASE.”

Rainer Maria Rilke
November 4th, 1904
Furuborg, Jonsered, in Sweeden
Letter 9

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters to a Young Poet.

Finished Reading