Johan Van Gun's Reviews > Recollections of My Life

Recollections of My Life by John  Findley

Jan 13, 2015

“Recollections of my Life” by John Findley, this is a book of short stories covering different periods of his life. This book was recommended by a neighbour of mine, who knew John and his wife Heather. I was forward enough to call in at their farm and ask to purchase one for myself. Our personal friendship grew and now John and Heather will look in on my property as I get away several times each year.

My job takes up many hours a day or night leaving me with plenty of reading time, so I am well used to devouring a novel in the space of a couple of days. “Recollections of my Life” was a little different it sat on my desk bookmarked to the last story, and a few stories were read twice? Why you may ask, well my own parents grew up in war torn Holland. Their stories were so different; John’s book showed the life he had in Australia. So I may reread a story to let the history of the 1940s, 1950s and the 1960s sink in, not so many years ago but our generation knows so little about this time.

But for those of you who care little about recent history I recommend the book the stories John tells with his tongue in his cheek, his cheeky humour adding a bit of colour as well. A story retold by John about one of his teachers suggesting that waging school if only for a good reason could be beneficial, but the full story in his book explains it better.
The police chase, he may have out run the police panel van but did he keep the girlfriend? Once again only the book will tell.

I recommend “Recollections of my Life” by John Findley, a jolly good read with a good chuckle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recollections of My Life.

January 13, 2015 – Shelved