Mervyn Brooks's Reviews > Recollections of My Life

Recollections of My Life by John  Findley

I read John’s book some months ago, I liked it then and let John know, passing the book around to my friends as well. He then asked me to review his stories in Goodreads, I had not heard about this website but I carried on and joined Goodreads then reviewed another book for a young lady. Then reread John’s book “Recollections of My Life”.
When I met John I recognised an old man who could tell a great story.
This was reinforced while reading his book, he writes about his life from the mid-1940s to now. A child in third grade who couldn’t master the spelling list, but could work out the maths questions as they were written on the blackboard.
The girlfriends come to life in the pages, not everything goes his way but it all adds to some very good stories. Stories about his mates and what they got up to, one time being told by a country police man that he would stay locked up if he ventured down the old gold mine again. With the police man’s wife fussing over John and his mate with a hot cup of tea.
John writes sympathetically about his evil first wife who left him and their three children and ran away with her boyfriend. How he could remain civil to this woman is beyond me! But he does, writing some lovely and moving tales from this time.
The wedding of his present wife Heather, how they found each other, how they combined the two families. The holidays, the business ventures the people who crossed their path. Well worth reading about, and the book is written in a series of short stories and can be picked up and put down at any time.
I highly recommend John Findley’s book “Recollections of My Life”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recollections of My Life.

Started Reading