Matthew's Reviews > The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

did not like it
bookshelves: 2015, kindle, own, revenge, mystery, gr_awards_2016, least-favorite

I tried to enjoy it! I swear I did! The hype told me that I had to!

I wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I never really cared about the story and ALL of the characters were unlikeable. Sometimes characters are unlikeable in a good way, but not this time.

At no point was I excited to be reading this.

Side note added 4/5/2017: Kinda silly how “Girl” is in so many titles lately. It has to be intentional to ride the coattails of other successful titles. I noticed on my library site that there is another popular checkout called Girl on a Train - I wonder how many people thought they were getting the other one!

Update 4/14/2018 - Dropped from two to one star because renewed interesting in my review due to a suggested grammar correction reminded me how much I didn't like this book - so I couldn't stick with two stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl on the Train.

January 12, 2015 – Shelved
April 10, 2015 –
page 205
April 11, 2015 –
page 230
68.45% "Rachel - get your $#!+ together!"
April 13, 2015 –
page 252
April 14, 2015 –
page 284
84.52% "Meh - I hate pretty much every person in this book!"
April 15, 2015 –
April 17, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery
April 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 10, 2015 – Shelved as: gr_awards_2016
April 5, 2017 – Shelved as: least-favorite

Comments Showing 1-50 of 153 (153 new)

Nicole Rhaven I don't remember why I gave it a 3 star review. I remember not liking it much.

Nicole Rhaven Rating* MY mind is all foggy since I have been up since 4am.

Matthew I understand foggy after being up a long time - did you see last night I said I was on page 2000 and something of this book!?

Nicole Rhaven HAHAHA, no, but I've done that. I think I was on page 50 on something and put 500.

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ Validation I made the right decision to remove it from my TBR.
You and Justin "took one for the team" and I thank you :P

Matthew I do what I can! :)

Kandice I've been really looking forward to reading this. I have a friend that we I "share" new books with so we only have to buy half as many. She should finish tomorrow and give it to me. Now I'm concerned. O_o

Justin Matthew, glad to see us find some common ground on this one. I feel like some people are giving it three stars because they feel like they have to. It's a solid two star book with too much hype.

Matthew Right on, Justin! And I am still seeing people fawning over this one, and I just don't see it.

Elizabeth It was stupid. Movie looks like maybe it'll be good.

Matthew I can't even give the movie a chance. Nope! Not for me.

Carol This is one where I found the main character so whiny I couldn't stand it and she did nothing to make this a good read for me. Usually I like unlikeable characters. Not this time. I tried to watch the movie last night and was as put off as with the book. Gave up which is rare for me in viewing.

Matthew Carol wrote: "This is one where I found the main character so whiny I couldn't stand it and she did nothing to make this a good read for me. Usually I like unlikeable characters. Not this time. I tried to watch ..."

I cannot even bring myself to watch the movie. And, with this, it was not just the unlikeable characters - it was the fact that she seemed to be forcing the issue of the unlikeable characters to drive the story instead of a good plot and good writing.

But, again, to each their own! I know lots of people love this one.

Belinda Frisch The movie wasn't any better. I wanted to like it but the twist was so telegraphed in as few characters as were in the story and their convenient relationships to one another. I wasn't wowed by this one, either, but I didn't hate it. I ended up giving it four stars, which might have been generous in hindsight. It wasn't the best thing I've read, but it wasn't the worst, either.

Matthew Belinda wrote: "The movie wasn't any better. I wanted to like it but the twist was so telegraphed in as few characters as were in the story and their convenient relationships to one another. I wasn't wowed by this..."

Do you think we are starting to become immune as a society to "The Twist"? It used to be such a big deal with movies like The Sixth Sense. Now we kind of expect it - especially when they start comparing things to Gone Girl.

Carol Matthew wrote: "Carol wrote: "This is one where I found the main character so whiny I couldn't stand it and she did nothing to make this a good read for me. Usually I like unlikeable characters. Not this time. I t..."

Well said.

Andrea Was looking forward to this book,but just drags on an average slow read for me.

message 18: by Nino (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nino Same here

Matthew Nino wrote: "Same here"

Andrea wrote: "Was looking forward to this book,but just drags on an average slow read for me."

I am always happy to find more people who agree with me on this!

Loretta The "Girl" phenomenon began with that horrible book, "Gone Girl". Talk about unlikeable characters! Talk about a waste of paper, ink, my reading time! Ugh!

Matthew Loretta wrote: "The "Girl" phenomenon began with that horrible book, "Gone Girl". Talk about unlikeable characters! Talk about a waste of paper, ink, my reading time! Ugh!"

I was able to stomach Gone Girl. I felt the way you do about Gone Girl with Girl On The Train.

Loretta Matthew wrote: "Loretta wrote: "The "Girl" phenomenon began with that horrible book, "Gone Girl". Talk about unlikeable characters! Talk about a waste of paper, ink, my reading time! Ugh!"

I was able to stomach G..."

Matthew Loretta wrote: "I won't hold it against you Matthew that you liked Gone Girl! Just as I'm sure you won't hold it against me that I liked The Girl on the Train! :) "

Well, maybe . . . ;)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ "The hype told me I had to!" Hahaha it's ok Matthew sometimes the hype is a fucking liar!!

Matthew Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: ""The hype told me I had to!" Hahaha it's ok Matthew sometimes the hype is a fucking liar!!"

Ha! This is one of those books where, while I respect others opinions, when they tell me they like it, I am baffled! ;) But, leads to some fun debate . . . my wife liked it and I told her that she would have to find others to go to the movie with her because I would not go!

Andrea Wasn't keen on this book,very slow book,not great fell for the hype.

Diana Radu The movie wasn't any better, but at least they avoided a few blunders I saw in the book :)

message 28: by Irene (new) - rated it 1 star

Irene Sim I'm glad we're on the same "train"about it

message 29: by Andrew (new) - added it

Andrew Hiller It didn't really capture me either, but I read it at a time where my concentration was pretty divided.

Matthew Andrea wrote: "Wasn't keen on this book,very slow book,not great fell for the hype."

Condolences my fellow victim of the hype!

Matthew Diana wrote: "The movie wasn't any better, but at least they avoided a few blunders I saw in the book :)"

With an endorsement like that, I am glad I skipped it! ;)

Matthew Irene wrote: "I'm glad we're on the same "train"about it"

BOOM! Nice wordplay!

Matthew Andrew wrote: "It didn't really capture me either, but I read it at a time where my concentration was pretty divided."

For me, definitely not gripping. I was easily distracted as well!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Matthew wrote: "Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: ""The hype told me I had to!" Hahaha it's ok Matthew sometimes the hype is a fucking liar!!"

Ha! This is one of those books where, while I respect others opinions, w..."

Hahaha I liked this one! BUT I think it was greatly enhanced by the audiobook, the narrators all did a wonderful job with each character! I'll go see the movie with your wife haha!

Escape into a Booksite Have to agree, great honest review!

Justin I audio booked this thing, too, and while I did love those beautiful English accents, the story wasn't good. You're right, man. The Girl in every title is ridiculous now. There's other buzzwords, too, like "you" that usually mean the book will suck. For example, Everything I Never Told YOU, I Let YOU Go, and that garbage book that was just called YOU, Me and YOU.... I'll stop there.

Matthew Megan (escapeintoabooksite) wrote: "Have to agree, great honest review!"

Thanks, Megan!

Matthew Justin wrote: "I audio booked this thing, too, and while I did love those beautiful English accents, the story wasn't good. You're right, man. The Girl in every title is ridiculous now. There's other buzzwords, t..."

I feel victory when we agree on a book. I mean, I know we agree a lot . . . but we have a few where we are on very different sides of the spectrum!

Ginger I felt the same with this book. I did not like the characters and the writing forced them to be too "unlikeable". I was surprised with now much hype it got and I just thought, meh. I likely won't watch the movie as well.

Matthew Ginger wrote: "I felt the same with this book. I did not like the characters and the writing forced them to be too "unlikeable". I was surprised with now much hype it got and I just thought, meh. I likely won't w..."

Thanks for your input! :) I feel like the "unlikeable" thing has been overplayed lately. Instead of focusing on the plot and development, authors will lean on making all the characters as unlikeable as possible and see what happens.

Ginger Matthew wrote: "Ginger wrote: "I felt the same with this book. I did not like the characters and the writing forced them to be too "unlikeable". I was surprised with now much hype it got and I just thought, meh. I..."

100% agree with you on that Matthew. I don't mind unlikable characters and they are great for books. Just don't focus all of the writing on that.

message 42: by Hemant (new) - added it

Hemant Kumar I really liked the movie. Emily Blunt's acting was fab

message 43: by DeB (new) - rated it 1 star

DeB MaRtEnS A man after my own heart! And I couldn't be bothered with the Woman in Cabin 10; I felt my boredom quotient had been nicely filled by then. Great reviews on both, Matthew!

Matthew DeB wrote: "A man after my own heart! And I couldn't be bothered with the Woman in Cabin 10; I felt my boredom quotient had been nicely filled by then. Great reviews on both, Matthew!"

Thanks, DeB!

Sarah I'm glad you didn't like it Matthew, because neither did I. I thought maybe I was reading another book than everyone else. That's ok though I think. I don't remember page 2,000 though

Matthew Sarah wrote: "I'm glad you didn't like it Matthew, because neither did I. I thought maybe I was reading another book than everyone else. That's ok though I think. I don't remember page 2,000 though "

Are you making fun of my fat-fingered status!?!? ;)

message 47: by Hemant (new) - added it

Hemant Kumar LOL

Candace Great, honest review, Matthew! I felt the same way. :)

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Bell Completely agree with you! I became so infuriated by it I stopped reading and gave it to a friend

Matthew Jennifer wrote: "Completely agree with you! I became so infuriated by it I stopped reading and gave it to a friend"

Still so happy when others agree with me on this one!

« previous 1 3 4