Jillian's Reviews > Surf & Surrender

Surf & Surrender by Riley Edgewood

*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I really enjoyed this book. I knew what I was getting into since I've read two others by Riley Edgewood, but this book topped both of those. While it wasn't perfect, I was left throughly impressed.

I LOVED the main characters. Heck, I liked most of the secondary characters as well. Quinn and Sawyer were both really cute and interesting. I related to Quinn rather easily, she's simply one of those fun-loving characters you can't help but root for. I adored how strong willed and feisty she was. Quinn was a force to be reckoned with, which was refreshing in a realm of whiny wimpy new adult characters. As for Sawyer; he was a sweetheart, a perfect book boyfriend. I enjoyed reading parts in his prospective, seeing how honest and down to earth he was. They were two characters I would love to continue reading about.

The plot itself was a little predictable for me. I completely saw the climax coming from a mile away, but it was pretty well executed so I'm okay with it. The minor conflicts with Sawyer's brother (Jess) was a little sloppy. I kinda wish it was handled differently throughout the whole book. I would've liked to see more of Jess, along with Sawyer working with his brother. While I thought very highly of Sawyer, the scenes involving his brother made me think less of him. I understood his words and actions due to reading in his perspective, but I wish he would've confided some of his thoughts with his sibling rather than being a jackass. I also wish there was a part where Quinn tells Sawyer about her teacher, I really would've liked to see the further connection of their emotional bond.

Onto secondary characters. Quinn and Sawyer's friends were perfect additions to the book. They really helped the progression of the novel, and were very constructive towards each character's growth. Quinn's mom on the other hand simply sucks. Big time. While I liked how Quinn stood up to her horrible mother, it was too much at times. The arguments would start off natural, but they were belabored by Quinn, making them feel slightly unrealistic.

Lastly, the ending. Oh the ending, how irritating that sucker was. It didn't end easily for me. The ending felt a little abrupt and forced, not a natural conclusion. While the book was tied up, I feel like it could've been done better... it was a little too loose for my liking.

Overall, Riley Edgewood crafted a pretty great book. She managed to secure my attention non-stop for a few days, and had me fall hard for her characters. I'm excited to see where this series goes, along with other potential future projects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surf & Surrender.

January 12, 2015 – Shelved