Meredith's Reviews > What They Always Tell Us

What They Always Tell Us by Martin  Wilson

Aug 13, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: male-protagonist, realistic, teen, lgbtqia

** spoiler alert ** I was very "meh" about this one. Even though the writing itself was good, there wasn't much going on. Alex is a somewhat three-dimensional character, but the other brother, James, is about as interesting as a bowl of stale bran flakes. While I remember sharing his sense of spiritless apathy for the duration of my senior year of high school, it doesn't make for a good story.

I also took issue with the weak side plot with Henry, the neighbor boy. It's almost as if his character was written in later so that he could be the reason for James and Alex's renewed, fragile relationship(?) I'm just not sure why his character was necessary at all.

What frustrated me the most was that I felt like the book was teasing me. I kept waiting for some sort of major event to happen, and although there were several places where the story became increasingly intense, nothing exciting ever actually happened.

All of that being said, I did find myself actually wanting to read and finish the book, and I think it would be much more significant to a teen actually on that journey of self-discovery, who might be in a strained place with his/her family and friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What They Always Tell Us.

Started Reading