Helia's Reviews > The Bone Clocks

The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell

Jan 12, 2015

bookshelves: fantasy, science-fiction, favorite-standalones, age-adult

You can find this review on Astronomical Books.

The Bone Clocks is something unique and all together incredible. I cannot begin to imagine how much time and thought went into it, because the nature of it is simply astounding.

The book begins with a teenage Holly Sykes running away from home, and ends almost 60 years later when the world is crumbling to pieces. But from that very day in the summer of 1984, the events of Holly's life are shaped by unfathomable forces that don't come clearly into sight until many years later. Her little brother's disappearance, the strange old lady at the docks - everything is connected by a strange truth: that there are beings on this earth that are free from the limitations of time. Split into 6 sections, The Bone Clocks follows Holly's life from the perspective of herself and others that play key roles in it.

David Mitchell was considerate about how he wrote The Bone Clocks. Realism and metaphor blur into one within this novel so that it can easily be mistaken for a piece of realistic fiction. But certain events and actions stand apart that had me question if I really knew what was happening behind the scenes.

The complexity of this story is beyond explanation, although lengthwise it could have been a lot shorter. One amazing aspect of it was that how all of the dots slowly connected to form a puzzle greater than anything I could have initially imagined. The cover of the book also played a part in telling the story, and I praise the artist for including every essential detail to the story in the design.

With the cover and the story,The Bone Clocks is beautiful inside and out. It twists genres and manipulates emotions to form a masterpiece that cannot be rivalled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bone Clocks.

Quotes Helia Liked

David Mitchell
“A writer flirts with schizophrenia, nurtures synesthesia, and embraces obsessive-compulsive disorder. Your art feeds on you, your soul, and, yes, to a degree, your sanity. Writing novels worth reading will bugger up your mind, jeopardize your relationships, and distend your life. You have been warned.”

David Mitchell
“I put my hand on the altar rail. 'What if ... what if Heaven is real, but only in moments? Like a glass of water on a hot day when you're dying of thirst, or when someone's nice to you for no reason, or ...' Mam's pancakes with Toblerone sauce; Dad dashing up from the bar just to tell me, 'Sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite'; or Jacko and Sharon singing 'For She's A Squishy Marshmallow' instead of 'For She's A Jolly Good Fellow' every single birthday and wetting themselves even though it's not at all funny; and Brendan giving his old record player to me instead of one of his mates. 'S'pose Heaven's not like a painting that's just hanging there for ever, but more like ... Like the best song anyone ever wrote, but a song you only catch in snatches, while you're alive, from passing cars, or ... upstairs windows when you're lost ...”

David Mitchell
“Power is lost or won, never created or destroyed. Power is a visitor to, not a possession of, those it empowers.”

David Mitchell
“Here’s the truth: Who is spared love is spared grief.”

January 12, 2015 – Shelved
December 27, 2015 –
page 357
December 27, 2015 –
page 383
64.37% "This is messed up. In a good way, I think."
page 415
page 441
74.12% "The whole explanation is a lot to take in and I'm a little lost but I understand the gist of it. It's getting really good and I'm excited :D"
page 453
page 483
81.18% "Still super confusing but also amazing"
December 29, 2015 –
page 520
87.39% "This was the best section so far. I'm kind of in love with this book"
December 29, 2015 – Shelved as: fantasy