Nancy's Reviews > The Cure for Modern Life

The Cure for Modern Life by Lisa Tucker

F 50x66
Aug 13, 2010

Read from August 13 to 21, 2010

Beach Read, woo-hoo! I like buying light reading in the summer; somehow calling them "beach reads" makes me feel less of a light-weight.

Matthew, Ben and Amelia have been friends/lovers/enemies/frenemies since college; Matthew and Amelia even planned to get married once, before her hatred of Matthew's job with a big pharmaceutical company demolished the relationship. Now Ben and Amelia are in love, and Matthew is planning to use their relationship to shelter his pet drug, Galavan, from Amelia's public attacks on his company. So Matthew's a real creep, huh? Well, maybe. But maybe things are not quite what they seem. Matthew's life is complicated, and the advent of 10 year old Danny and his silent sister Isabelle, children of crack addict Kim, is making his already complex life into a real life version of an Escher drawing.

I picked this book off the bargain shelves at Barnes and Noble, figuring $5 was a reasonable price to pay for a book I wasn't sure I would like. Turns out I did like it; it kept me reading enthusiastically for several hours. There were lots of plot twists - not very plausible, perhaps, but who cares? They were deliciously twisty! I was rooting for Matthew to be a good guy! I was thrilled for Danny and Isabelle to get comfy beds and delicious food, instead of sleeping on roachy floors with crack whores! Okay, I could quibble about the remarkably trauma-free emotional adjustment made by the two formerly homeless kids. I could carp about ridiculously adult way everyone gets over former mortal insults. But really, why fret? It's summer! Let's be happy! I'm going to read some other Lisa Tucker books and get EVEN HAPPIER.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cure for Modern Life.