Erik Waiss's Reviews > The Baking Bible

The Baking Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

I want to give this 5 stars, but it's just not quite there.

I also feel weird reviewing a cookbook, it's not like you actually "read" it for a plot. Mostly I just flipped through, read all the "stuff" and then glanced at recipes for mental cataloguing in case I want to make something later. But there is a lot of "stuff" here outside the recipes that covers technique and her history and so on.

This is Rose Levy Beranbaum, who previous wrote the Cake Bible, the Pie Bible (I think) and the Bread Bible (which I have used so much it's falling apart).

I gotta be honest, this book looks and feels very good. Thick and very heavy paper, full color, the works; but I don't think I'm going to use it as much as the Bread and Cake bibles I already have. There just aren't that many recipes based on the size of the book as her previous offerings. This seems more of a "Greatest Hits", which isn't wholly accurate since none of these recipes appear as is in her other books.

However, if you've never read one of her cookbooks and you're interested in the subject matter, I could not recommend it more. Definitely a fine starter and overall a very beautiful addition to the cookbook shelf. (you have a whole shelf, or two, right?)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Baking Bible.

January 12, 2015 – Started Reading