Sunshine Somerville's Reviews > The Zombie Axiom

The Zombie Axiom by David  Monette

Wow, this is good.

I’ve read a lot of zombie books, and this one has everything I could ever want in a book from this genre…and then some. It starts out like a typical zombie book where we meet a bunch of individual characters just as the zombie outbreak happens. (There’s about an equal number of men to women, which is great.) Then there’s a lot of action, gore, chasing, etc. Then the characters of course meet up and work together – and they establish a safe haven in ways that I haven’t seen before, which was great.

THEN, we learn what set off this apocalypse in the first place, and I was so delighted by this unique and unexpected twist that my jaw literally dropped. For some readers who say the alien/meteorite/necromancer explanation doesn’t make sense, I feel the need to remind you that you’re reading a zombie book. Using the supernatural rather than a virus makes as much sense as anything, and one of the scientist characters even raises some very good points about why a virus reanimating the dead just doesn’t make sense. The author’s daring to tilt the genre in this way works brilliantly to give some freshness to the story.

As for the writing itself – phenomenal. Sometimes it was even a little too flowery and descriptive, but that’s not something I’m going to complain about. The action is written just as clearly as the dialogue/character moments, and the movement of time passing was smooth and worked better than I would have expected.

I enjoyed every bit of this book. Huge recommendation to anyone who likes zombie stories with a twist. I’d definitely reading the sequel as soon as I can.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Zombie Axiom.

January 12, 2015 – Started Reading