Brenda's Reviews > Adventures of the Great Marlo & The Blue Pearl

Adventures of the Great Marlo & The Blue Pearl by Gary Markwick

bookshelves: favourites

Just finished reading ‘Adventures of The Great Marlo and The Blue Pearl’, the second book by Gary Markwick and I have to say that I loved every minute of it. I read Gary’s first book – ‘Now It Begins’, which is a self-help book, so I was expecting that this book would be similar, but it’s a real departure from his former work.

This is a book about the author’s grandfather who started life in the mean streets of Edinburgh, Scotland and ended up as a famous Magician.
The book is peppered with information about faraway places and wonderful stories of adventure and discovery. The people that our hero meets as he grows up, cast a magical spell over the young David Galloway Lindsay, filling his head with wonder and enthusiasm which eventually leads David to a career in the field of entertainment as a magician of great ability and power.

There are many larger than life famous people who make an appearance in the book – Harry Houdini, The Great Lafayette, and Buddha to name a few. As we go further into the story, we begin to feel the draw of ‘The Blue Pearl’ and without giving too much away, it is safe to say that the line between illusion and reality becomes extremely blurred.

I love reading about ‘eccentric and unusual people’ and their life stories, and I found this book satisfying on a number of levels. So, if you want a really good read, I would say suspend reality for a while and settle down to the ‘Adventures of The Great Marlo and The Blue Pearl’.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventures of the Great Marlo & The Blue Pearl.

Started Reading